Bloodfin Bully

CanadianJoeh

Hey guys,

So before you respond that there should be more - yes, I know. Bloodfins are best kept in a school.

Moving on from that, I have 2 tetras, a zebra danio, and an otocinclus catfish in my little 15 litre (4 gallon) tank. I'm a student, I don't have time nor the space to set up my 55 gallon.

My bloodfins have been getting alone great for the month+ that they've been together, but now I've got one who hides constantly, and is visibly scared of the other. When the scared one comes out, the other one chases after him. My poor little bloodfin has lost almost all of the color in his tail

What should I do? I have a quarantine tank that I set up a few days ago, and its filter is in my main tank, but is has only been a few days. I've never had to deal with an aggressive fish. All the fish I purchase are of peaceful nature.

Thanks

Greg F

You answered your own question. I'd rehome them both if you don't have room to keep their numbers up.

CanadianJoeh

You answered your own question. I'd rehome them both if you don't have room to keep their numbers up.
Yes but the reason it's a dilemma is because Bloodfins FREQUENTLY chase after each other, and they like to nip fins too for the heck of it.

Now the hiding one chases after the other guy... They have like intervals. #1 chases #2. They go to separate ends of the aquarium and chill out. They are social with each other for a little bit. Then they go relax alone. Then #2 chases number #1. Then it starts over.

So at this point I don't know if they're just being dicks to each other or if they actually want to kill each other. Meanwhile my Danio just swims around with his reflection like a little spaz. Love him though.

NavigatorBlack

If you and I are in a parking lot and I turn into a psycho clown and scare you, you will get away. If we are in an elevator, well, ask Stephen King what happens.
I'm not a psycho clown, have no fear, but your bloodfin has his aggressive moments. You are keeping them in an elevator, and nothing can possibly make that work. Bloodfins are mildly aggressive, mildly hierarchical shoalers with a well known fin nipping character. 15 litres? The fish that loses in a normal bash and crash bloodfin lifestyle has no respite, and no escape. No fish is being a dick there - a bloodfin is being a perfectly normal bloodfin. The inadequate tank is the entire problem.
Join your local aquariun club, L'ARAQ, and sell those bloodfins in the auction, so they can flourish!

Greg F

Yes but the reason it's a dilemma is because Bloodfins FREQUENTLY chase after each other, and they like to nip fins too for the heck of it.

Now the hiding one chases after the other guy... They have like intervals. #1 chases #2. They go to separate ends of the aquarium and chill out. They are social with each other for a little bit. Then they go relax alone. Then #2 chases number #1. Then it starts over.

So at this point I don't know if they're just being dicks to each other or if they actually want to kill each other. Meanwhile my Danio just swims around with his reflection like a little spaz. Love him though.
Agree. They are being normal bloodfins. The problem is a small tank and too few numbers. If one is being aggressive he only one target to take the brunt of it rather than 5 or more to spread it out.

CanadianJoeh

To whom it may concern,

The 2 bloodfins and zebra danio have been rehomed to a couple nearby who have 6 different aquariums, including a 90 gallon.

Glad to have been able to do the right thing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
20 Gallon Tank Bloodfin tetra aggression
Replies
Views
Fish5234
Replies
Views
mcameron31
Replies
Views
Batmantheanglefish