Blood Worms

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have been reading all of the posts about how much fish like Blood Worms so I thought that I would get some and try it. OMG I didn't know 4 little fish could have such a feeding frizzy. It looked like tiny sharks going nuts.

I'm so glad that I gave it a try. I am having so much fun watching them. Even the cory had to try them out.

Thanks guys.

Ayelie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Corys adore Bloodworm's
a word of caution. they should be fed as treats instead of a steady diet. they are pure protein and can constipate our fish.
all of my fish LOVE bloodworms. Have fun!
carol

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks I will remember that. It says on it to feed no more than twice a week.

Thanks again
ayelie

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm being careful. And I am really enjoying my fish.

thanks
Ayelie

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What else can be used besides bloodworms that won't constipate, I guess to use as an alternate so I'm not feeding just that treat? (I like to give my fish treats besides the flakes)

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
High protein diets (like blood worms) are liable to constipate a fish...if you're worried about constipation, try fasting them for a day and feeding them some veggies weekly, like a cooked pea that's been shelled. Other than blood worms, some fish like baby brine shrimp, live insects...there are also high quality pellets out there (Formula One/Two, the one in the round short bottles -- the name escapes me -- but they use only whole products and are all natural). A variety of food is best.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i've heard lots of good things about omega, but personally I just feed them table scraps (fresh veggies), flakes, bloodworms every few days, and microworms (mainly for fry, but the guppies and platies love em too. I give the fry bbs every few days , hatching brine shrimp is not for the lazy man

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, Omega, that's it! I just remembered their blue plastic caps on the little bottles. Somewhat expensive stuff. >.<

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
omega one is a brand of fish flakes

hatching brine shrimp isn't difficult but it does involve some work, honestly culturing microworms is WAY easier.

Just do a google search on 'hatching brine shrimp' and 'microworms'

Think sea monkeys

edit*
just as a heads up, the microworm route is not for the squeamish.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is Omega something that's not high in protein?
It is, just about the #1 ingredient in all fish food is other fish (even when it says it's got veggies). They also have other things like for added nutrients for a more "complete" diet. But a blood worm is just protein really.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
omega one is a brand of fish flakes

hatching brine shrimp isn't difficult but it does involve some work, honestly culturing microworms is WAY easier.

Just do a google search on 'hatching brine shrimp' and 'microworms'

Think sea monkeys

edit*
just as a heads up, the microworm route is not for the squeamish.
Oh hmm that's not the product I was thinking about...this stuff is in really short bottles (like what you'd see for night cream or moisturizer). I'm continuing to look for it.

Edit: aha, got it: it's Spectrum.

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17913/si1319466/cl0/newlifespectrumcichlidformula300gr

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Brine shimp are very unusual love the video I guess I'll have find eggs. Thanks midthought & jetajockey

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They look like they have a pretty full line of fish food, including one for "small fish":

I've only ever seen Spectrum at one locally owned LFS here. I haven't checked the other local LFS I visit and I really don't think Petco or the other chain around here (Petland Discounts) has it. Might have to get it online.

Edit: sorry for any hijacking, ayelie!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

All of my fish love Blood Worms too. I do recommend the frozen blood worms over the freeze dried blood worms. If you do use freeze dried be sure to pre-soak them first before feeding them to your fish. Pre-soaking will cause the worm to swell before the fish eats it and prevents the swelling in the fishes belly. (causing constipation too)

When I feed Wriggley his blood worms (frozen and thawed) he does his little dance and acts like he will rip that blood worm apart lol He's so cute.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom