Blood Worms

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by ayelie, Apr 10, 2010.

1. ayelieWell Known MemberMember

I have been reading all of the posts about how much fish like Blood Worms so I thought that I would get some and try it. OMG I didn't know 4 little fish could have such a feeding frizzy. It looked like tiny sharks going nuts.

I'm so glad that I gave it a try. I am having so much fun watching them. Even the cory had to try them out.

Thanks guys.

Ayelie

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Corys adore Bloodworm's :)
    a word of caution. they should be fed as treats instead of a steady diet. they are pure protein and can constipate our fish.
    all of my fish LOVE bloodworms. Have fun!
    carol

3. ayelieWell Known MemberMember

Thanks I will remember that. It says on it to feed no more than twice a week.

Thanks again
    ayelie

4. chris T. anksNew MemberMember

HAHA, I remember my first   feeding frenzy. Have fun, but yes, be careful.

5. ayelieWell Known MemberMember

I'm being careful. And I am really enjoying my fish.

thanks
    Ayelie

6. JustinFValued MemberMember

What else can be used besides bloodworms that won't constipate, I guess to use as an alternate so I'm not feeding just that treat? (I like to give my fish treats besides the flakes)

7. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

High protein diets (like blood worms) are liable to constipate a fish...if you're worried about constipation, try fasting them for a day and feeding them some veggies weekly, like a cooked pea that's been shelled. Other than blood worms, some fish like baby brine shrimp, live insects...there are also high quality pellets out there (Formula One/Two, the one in the round short bottles -- the name escapes me -- but they use only whole products and are all natural). A variety of food is best.

8. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

i've heard lots of good things about omega, but personally I just feed them table scraps (fresh veggies), flakes, bloodworms every few days, and microworms (mainly for fry, but the guppies and platies love em too. I give the fry bbs every few days , hatching brine shrimp is not for the lazy man :p

9. JustinFValued MemberMember

Hatching Brine Shrimp? Does that require another tank, I never heard of that?

10. JustinFValued MemberMember

Is there any veggies that are bad for them?

11. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Yes, Omega, that's it! I just remembered their blue plastic caps on the little bottles. Somewhat expensive stuff. >.<

12. JustinFValued MemberMember

Is Omega something that's not high in protein?

13. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

It requires a different setup but not exactly a tank. You can do a DIY rig. This is one video how-to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uNkHPuGaqo

14. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

omega one is a brand of fish flakes

hatching brine shrimp isn't difficult but it does involve some work, honestly culturing microworms is WAY easier.

Just do a google search on 'hatching brine shrimp' and 'microworms'

Think sea monkeys :D

edit*
    just as a heads up, the microworm route is not for the squeamish.

15. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

It is, just about the #1 ingredient in all fish food is other fish (even when it says it's got veggies). They also have other things like for added nutrients for a more "complete" diet. But a blood worm is just protein really. :p

16. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Oh hmm that's not the product I was thinking about...this stuff is in really short bottles (like what you'd see for night cream or moisturizer). I'm continuing to look for it.

Edit: aha, got it: it's Spectrum.

17. JustinFValued MemberMember

Brine shimp are very unusual love the video I guess I'll have find eggs. Thanks midthought & jetajockey

18. JustinFValued MemberMember

Does Spectrum work for fish like Rainbows, Danios, & Neons?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  19. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

They look like they have a pretty full line of fish food, including one for "small fish":  

I've only ever seen Spectrum at one locally owned LFS here. I haven't checked the other local LFS I visit and I really don't think Petco or the other chain around here (Petland Discounts) has it. Might have to get it online.

Edit: sorry for any hijacking, ayelie!

20. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

All of my fish love Blood Worms too. I do recommend the frozen blood worms over the freeze dried blood worms. If you do use freeze dried be sure to pre-soak them first before feeding them to your fish. Pre-soaking will cause the worm to swell before the fish eats it and prevents the swelling in the fishes belly. :) (causing constipation too)

When I feed Wriggley his blood worms (frozen and thawed) he does his little dance and acts like he will rip that blood worm apart lol He's so cute.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice