Blood worm bubbles

1. Bellatrix Member Member

Hi guys,

I fed my minnows some freeze dried blood warm (read to eat) this morning for the first time and almost instantly the bubbles on the surface increased massively and haven't gone down.

I've done a water test and all is well there, I've taken off the filter and the air stone to check them, they all seem fine and I've done a bit of a water change but they're still there.

The tank is a BiOrb and if it wasn't for the stong air flow the surface would be covered in these bubbles. It's only the surface movement that is keeping the middle area bubble free.

It's not done this before. Is it something to do with the blood worm? And how do I get rid of them?

Thanks in advance.

Get rid of the bubbles I mean not the blood worm, they've eaten them all.

Would changing 20% of the water help?
    If so is it safe to leave it until tomorrow so the treated water can sit for 24 hours to get to the right temperature?

2. Bellatrix Member Member

Done a 30% water change with no effect whatsoever on the bubbles.

3. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I don't have experience with this type of tank, sorry so no advice. TexasDomer, Coradee?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I don't have any experience of biorbs either sorry & I don't use freeze dried foods either though I know they should be soaked thoroughly before feeding.
    Maybe they released something as they absorbed some water, hopefully someone with experience of the tank & food will be along soon to help.

5. Bellatrix Member Member

I hope so because the water change did nothing and actually made it worse.

6. Wildside Member Member

Are they like miniature air bubbles per chance? If so, I had the same problem with my 5 gal betta tank. I have no idea what caused it but I also had a sort of film type thing which formed on the top of the water. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get rid of them. My fish started to become sluggish, etc... Finally, I did a 100% water change (yes, I know it's a bad idea) and that seemed to do the trick.

Sadly, my betta developed dropsy and died shortly after. I have no idea if the two things are liked.

7. Bellatrix Member Member

There's no film what I can tell but it's pretty bad.

They're medium size and they're all over the surface. I've been researching and a few people have experienced it. I don't know what to do!

The fish don't seem bothered at all by them but I'm worried its restructuring oxygen.

Here are some photos, the first is before the water change the second was a few minutes ago and as you can see, they've got worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I want to know is, will they go on their own. Sometimes over fussing in my experience with things makes things all the worse as the water change made the bubble worse.

8. Wildside Member Member

Yeah. That's identical to what I had. Although I have to say your tank is far prettier than mine.

Like I said, mine sort of vanished by themselves after a couple of weeks and a few water changes. I'd be inclined to leave it and see if it passes naturally but I'd keep an eye on your fish, if they seem a little lethargic or anything then you might want to think about getting them out of there temporarily and doing several water changes.

9. Bellatrix Member Member

That's what I'm going to do.

If it's still the same by my next Sunday water change I'm thinking of doing a complete wash out. I know it's not the best thing to do but it's the only solution I think if it doesn't clear up:

Moving fish into a bowl for an hour or so while I do it. Emptying water, cleaning all deco and gravel in treated water (with good bacteria added), swilling the tank with the shower head before swilling with treated water (with good bacteria added) and refilling. I hope I don't have to do that but it's my plan if it continues.

Thanks for replying by the way. :)

10. Wildside Member Member

You're welcome.

Let us know how it all works out for you. I hope it gets better.

11. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

That plan sounds good, but I wouldn't bother to add bacteria to water you are using for rinsing. Definitely treat the water with Prime or another water dechlorinator, but don't both with the bacteria. The goal of adding the bacteria is for it to colonize on your filter media and (usually a little) on your substrate. Good luck!

12. Bellatrix Member Member

Thank you, love.