Blood Red Parrots Not Being Able To Eat

1. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

After having them for about 4-5 days, they don't seem to be eating. Not that they don't want to, but it seems like they can't eat the pellets I feed them (they can eat bloodworms just fine, but don't seem to be able to "suck" in the pellets). Any suggestions?

2. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Perhaps crush the pellets down even smaller? Mine is able to eat pellets just fine. It's also quite likely that it doesn't like it.

3. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

I'll try crushing them, and if that doesn't work after a week, I'll probably get another type of pellets.

4. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

You should look up training fish how to eat foods. Perhaps not feeding them for a few days to get their hunger juices flowing. Once that food drops perhaps they'll attack it like a feral cat on a pigeon.

5. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Is it because they won't fit in their little deformed mouths? It's common because they have little deformed mouths. :p

Use smaller pellets or crush them smaller.

6. Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

soak the pellets in garlic or onion powder. the smell is irresistible to the fish and it makes it easy for them to eat and swallow

7. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Just finished treating them for gill flukes with prazipro. Both seem to be eating some bloodworms, but still don't seem to be able to eat crushed up pellets/ they probably can't find them fast enough before they sink.

8. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Finally started eating today off the sand. Hopefully their food won't be stolen by the next batch of fish I'm planning on adding.