Blood red parrot

1. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Can I have a parrot fish in my 55 gal with community fish? I've been on the look for a cool fish with personality and I think the blood parrot would be fun to keep but I'm not sure of their nature or if my tank is even big enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I think it might be a little tight for a bloody parrot, but they are community fish. They're peaceful. Controversial, but peaceful.

3. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Ok, do you know of any fish like them that would be happy in a 55?

4. eds48 Member Member

What type of community fish do you have in there? And how many? Blood parrots acturally can be very aggressive (mine are) at least. But they have mouths that cant close so they can be out competed for food. You would need to house it with fish that cant out compete it. When blood parrots try to spawn and lay eggs they can get very territorial. The will go crazy ramming and fish that goes near their eggs or territory. They have a massive bioload and get pretty fat. Im moving mine from a 55 gallon to a 75 gallon. Ive only had the 55 since january. But I like the 75 for the width for them. I know aquarist48 has a 265 gallon with blood parrots and I bet he can help :) Good luck! :)

5. Andrew Sackett Member Member

I have angels so if they can't compete at all I don't think they would be happy in my tank but I would love some suggestions for a fish like them.

6. Fish Fan Member Member

I think it all depends on the nature of your Parrot. I have one with 5 Angels and a few Gouramis in my 55. He is a delight and seems to be the peace keeper in the tank. I would not rule it out...give it a try!

image.jpg

7. eds48 Member Member

Thats a good point! :) If you do get one, get a juvinile so they will grow accustomed to their surroundings and if things dont work out well make sure you have a back up plan

8. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Thanks I'm going to see if there's any small ones at MLFS can't wait they look like a very interesting fish

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member