Blood red parrot

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Rilescr, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Rilescr

Rilescr New Member Member

I was wondering if a blood red parrot would be ok with a juvenile red devil and jack dempsey?

2. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

I dont know about the red devil but mine i fine with my jack dempsey. They problem is if the jack dempsey or red devil decide to attack the bp he won't really be able to defend himself. What size tank is it? Also do you have a backup tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Rilescr

65 gallon tank...do not have a back up but upgrading to a 120 gallon soon

4. allaboutfish

Will you be keeping the 65?
    I have a kirin parrot, severum, and jack dempsey with my blood parrot by i have a couple of tanks i could switch around to seperate if needed.

5. OP
    OP
    Rilescr

Yes I'm going to keep it...I'm just wandering if it they would be ok for the time being the parrot I was looking at is also a juvenile...I know it depends on the fish, my red devil is very passive right now but I know that can turn any day with them and by jack dempsey is alittle aggresive but the parrot is in a tank with dempseys at the store and looks to hold its own

6. allaboutfish

Will the pet store let you return it if it doesn't work? I would get it and rearrange the tank as you introduce the bp. Then if they attack it take it back to the store or divide the tank.

7. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

There is a chance that the Red Devil will kill everything else. Sometimes they allow tank mates, other times they wont let anything live with them. Once it gets bigger, you'll find out for sure.

8. OP
    OP
    Rilescr

Yea I can return it...I think ill get it and see what happens

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I would highly recommend a Red Devil not be housed with Bloody Parrots. Bloody Parrots cannot defend themselves as other fish do, by biting, due to the shape of their mouths.

Bloody Parrots should be housed with other non aggressive species.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice