Blood red parrot stocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I had finally decided on a stocking list for my 55 gallon and the lfs sold out of electric blue dempseys. So now I have a revised stocking list based around 2 blood parrots

2 blood red parrots
2 angels
10 small tetras (thinking a mix of regular, black, and glo light neons) or rasboras
4 corydoras

How does this sound? Any suggestions or substitutions

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Nick about the tetras, a parrot can easily suck up a tetra once it gets big enough.

OP
JRDroid

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Any suggestions on schooling fish that won't become food? a larger breed of tetra maybe like black skirt or Buenos Aires? Or possibly a less nippy type barb (don't want nippy fish with the angels' fins). Does it sound like i am over stocking or is this a doable stock list for a 55 gallon?

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most people would like Congo tetras. They're quite big and beautiful But if you add all these fish that you listed in your stocking list, it would be going a bit overboard with your stocking limit. I'd suggest choosing either angels or tetras. That's my opinion. I'm not so sure about the cories.

Keep us posted.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ken, (aquarist48), keeps Corys with his BRP's, and I know they're fine with Angels so the Corys should be fine. I'm not sure about Harlequin Rasporas though. Personally if I were to choose a shoaling fish to live with Angels and a BRP I'd pick one of the larger Tetras like a Blackwidow.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Whatever you decide to stock along with Bloody Parrots, I suggest that you add the Bloody Parrots last. You'll save yourself a lot of aggression issues by doing so.

I agree with above posters, any fish small enough to fit into the Bloody Parrots mouth may very well become food. Remember, they are Cichlids.

I haven't had any issues as Nick stated, with my Bloody Parrots and Cory Cats. They all get along fine. The rest of my stocking list is in my signature.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Ken

OP
JRDroid

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think I am leaning towards rainbows (like 4 or 5 of them). I had never really realized how colorful they become untill i just looked them up. So is every one in agreement that i need to choose the shoal or the Angels? I don't really care for angels, but my wife has her heart set on them.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hello!

55 gallon that's a good size, lots of possabilities.

Angels in the other hand need a well established tank and clean warm water. I keep mine at 82.

I'm all for the Rainbows and/or Giant Danios.

Goodluck with whatever you decide.

OP
JRDroid

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I got my two Parrots. The guy at the store suggested that moving around all the decor when adding new fish will help break territories, reducing their aggression towards new fish

Also is there any other input on the angels/rainbows? is there any way i could do both if i lose the cory's? My wife wants angels, i want a school, corydoras were just a "neat" idea

Last edited:
OP
JRDroid

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I thought about dwarf rainbows but they are not available locally and I'm not too in to the idea of mail order fish, plush shipping is really high for a couple fish that aren't the tanks centerpiece.

What about 5 or so glass barbs instead of dwarf rainbows? They are a little larger. Are they nippy like the tiger barbs are?

Last edited:

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah I have the same problem here
the petsmart here has turquoise rainbows, which are very nice looking and color up faster than some of the other rainbows.
Are you looking at a particular kind?

OP
JRDroid

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
the petsmart in my area has Australian, turquoise, and boesemani rainbows. I was going to mix some boesemani and one or both of the other varrieties.

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I had finally decided on a stocking list for my 55 gallon and the lfs sold out of electric blue dempseys. So now I have a revised stocking list based around 2 blood parrots

2 blood red parrots
2 angels
10 small tetras (thinking a mix of regular, black, and glo light neons) or rasboras
4 corydoras

How does this sound? Any suggestions or substitutions
Hello, as many people said that tetras aren't good with Angels or BRP's is true Although Angels and BRP's are okay with each other because I have raised those two together before, and they aren't tempermental with each other either. You can add in gouramis along with Danios if you have a tank bigger than 20 gallons like a 55 gallon or so... you can keep angels, danios and BRP's together since Danios are dither fishes and are also very fast swimmers too.

You should probably be find with corydoras since they are bottom feeders and BRP's don't usually go down to the bottom to look for food unless they are starving because you haven't fed them in a day or two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom