Blood Red Cichlid With Mbuna?

DavisM

I have a blood red Cichlid with 3 Mbuna as of now, but will it be alright if I add more Mbuna or will my blood red Parrot be bullied or unsafe?

nikm128

Water wise they're compatible, but that's it. I can see either the blood parrot picking off all the mbuna, or maybe even the mbuna ganging up on it to take it down. They should be separated ASAP

DavisM

Water wise they're compatible, but that's it. I can see either the blood parrot picking off all the mbuna, or maybe even the mbuna ganging up on it to take it down. They should be separated ASAP

Ok thank you, are Blood Red Parrot Cichlid good with angle fish ( I assume there not) or do I need to set up a new tank?

Nikki2577

Ok thank you, are Blood Red Parrot Cichlid good with angle fish ( I assume there not) or do I need to set up a new tank?

I think the blood parrot would be a little too aggressive with an angelfish.

nikm128

Well every fish is different, so I can't say for sure whether it'd work or not, but personally I wouldn't.

DavisM

I agree but just wanted to see if it was a possibility

nikm128

I'm sure someone somewhere has done it, but yeah, I don't think they'd mix well. Maybe if they were introduced at the same time and while young, then they'd have a chance

DavisM

Well every fish is different, so I can't say for sure whether it'd work or not, but personally I wouldn't.

Do you think if I do a tank divider for a week they will be fine, also they are still young.

nikm128

Most likely, how big of a tank though?

Nikki2577

Yes. Use a light diffuser or egg crate. They work well.

DavisM

nikm128

Is it the standard dimensions? 48" long 13" wide and 21" tall?
If you split it perfectly down the middle, you could probably have enough space for both

DavisM

Yes it’s standard. Thx a lot for the help!!! Got any ideas for a 5 gallon tank

nikm128

Not a problem! In a 5 gallon there aren't many options, a betta, or a tank for shrimp and snails

DavisM

Could I do a Betta Breeder tank? If so do you know how?

nikm128

Could you show me what you're talking about? Or tell me a little more?
Just a heads up too, a moderator might move this portion of the thread to a new one since it's completely different topic

robertbernard

I would recommend that you separate them. We had our parrot with about 25 mbuna without problems. This parrot wasn’t overly aggressive but he was the tank boss. After about a year one of the larger mbuna, a Kenyi, would challenge it for territory. The parrot always won. The other mbuna never tried. The parrot staked out his own area and would come out to socialize from time to time and chase some of the larger mbuna but never seemed to chase smaller ones. Eventually we separated it because it wasn’t an ideal fit. This is a large parrot, who my wife threatens to put back in the mbuna tank, claiming it was happier

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
A201
Replies