Blood Parrots

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Sani Fabian, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Sani FabianValued MemberMember

I have a 60 gallon freshwater taank will be heated i was wondering if i could do a pair of BPs or just one also if i can do a pair can they have tank mates as well? I will have little decor for hideing and a wave maker as well

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

You could probably do two and some tank mates

3. A201Well Known MemberMember

IMO, a 60 gal. tank is plenty big enough for a pair of Blood Parrots. A few smaller variety Synodontis catfish and a school of larger Tetras, maybe Giant Danios.

4. Sani FabianValued MemberMember

Ok i was jist curious and i couldnt find a answer for some.reason lol... another thing is i have 8 ph due to aragonite sand i have. I have that cause i was going to do a african cichlid tank but i fell in love with BPs will this be a problem or should i throw some Driftwood in there to lower i thought i saw BPs like 6.5-7.5?

5. A201Well Known MemberMember

BP's are a Central American hybrid. A PH of 7.5 - 8.3 will be fine.

6. Sani FabianValued MemberMember

Sounds good thanks for the input. Would you.say 1 catfish is good or 2?

Im thinking
    2BPs
    2catfish
    7 tetra/large danio

7. A201Well Known MemberMember

Two or three Synodontis (smaller varieties) or instead a group of five YoYo Botia Loaches or Y. Modesta Botia Loaches. Botias do a better job on cleanup & really interesting to watch.

8. Sani FabianValued MemberMember

Should i get 2 males 2 females or 1 male and 1 female of the BPs??

9. A201Well Known MemberMember

Two males are likely to fight. Its really difficult to determine gender as juveniles, and not much easier as adults. Males have pointed dorsal & analfins. Females have rounded fins.

10. Sani FabianValued MemberMember

You think if be able to put any othet cichlids in there? I see firemouths and angel fish do ok but idk if thats just pure luck or what...i dont wanna push the limits with the fish just want the best out of its potential

11. A201Well Known MemberMember

Not Angel fish. Firemouths do better in groups & they grow to 4 - 7 inches. A group of four might be pushing it a little, but with a large 50% water change a week, good filtration & well constructed hardscape maybe doable.

12. Sani FabianValued MemberMember

Ehhh ill just stixk to the 2 BPs... would 3 be pushing it in a 60? With the bottom dwellers and a school?

13. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Keyholes? As long as your catfish aren't super small there should be no issues

14. BIGM32New MemberMember

I have a 60 gallon with 2 blood partots,two firemouths, 2 green Texas chiclids,a Blue acara and orange severeum,also 2 blue polar convict chiclids. I will eventually get a 200 gallon tank but hope this helps as these are good tank mates.

15. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Those are great tank mates for bp's, but I don't think they would work long term in this size tank

16. JonJalValued MemberMember

Blood parrots get big. 8" or "9. 2 of them in a 60 is a little restricted in my opinion, especially with tank mates and any decorations. It would work, but not much swimming room once they've matured. I've got 3 in a 120 gallon. They love to eat and are growing quickly. With all my driftwood and rocks i may need to make adjustments as they get bigger. Give your fish plenty of room for swimming. A healthy fish is a happy fish.

17. Sani FabianValued MemberMember

My LFS was selling
    My LFS was selling 3 for a sale so i got 3... im going to get 1 catfish and thats it and stay on top of the W/C... im going to get another HOB filter as well or a sponge filter

I know im going to get hated for the 3 but they were so cute....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019