Blood Parrots

Sani Fabian

Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon freshwater taank will be heated I was wondering if I could do a pair of BPs or just one also if I can do a pair can they have tank mates as well? I will have little decor for hideing and a wave maker as well

OP
Sani Fabian

Sani Fabian

Reaction score
A201 said:
IMO, a 60 gal. tank is plenty big enough for a pair of Blood Parrots. A few smaller variety Synodontis catfish and a school of larger Tetras, maybe Giant Danios.
Ok I was jist curious and I couldnt find a answer for some.reason lol... another thing is I have 8 ph due to aragonite sand I have. I have that cause I was going to do a african cichlid tank but I fell in love with BPs will this be a problem or should I throw some Driftwood in there to lower I thought I saw BPs like 6.5-7.5?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BP's are a Central American hybrid. A PH of 7.5 - 8.3 will be fine.

OP
Sani Fabian

Sani Fabian

Reaction score
A201 said:
BP's are a Central American hybrid. A PH of 7.5 - 8.3 will be fine.
Sounds good thanks for the input. Would you.say 1 catfish is good or 2?

I'm thinking
2BPs
2catfish
7 tetra/large danio

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Two or three Synodontis (smaller varieties) or instead a group of five YoYo Botia Loaches or Y. Modesta Botia Loaches. Botias do a better job on cleanup & really interesting to watch.

OP
Sani Fabian

Sani Fabian

Reaction score
A201 said:
Two or three Synodontis (smaller varieties) or instead a group of five YoYo Botia Loaches or Y. Modesta Botia Loaches. Botias do a better job on cleanup & really interesting to watch.

Should I get 2 males 2 females or 1 male and 1 female of the BPs??

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Two males are likely to fight. Its really difficult to determine gender as juveniles, and not much easier as adults. Males have pointed dorsal & analfins. Females have rounded fins.

OP
Sani Fabian

Sani Fabian

Reaction score
A201 said:
Two males are likely to fight. Its really difficult to determine gender as juveniles, and not much easier as adults. Males have pointed dorsal & analfins. Females have rounded fins.
You think if be able to put any othet cichlids in there? I see firemouths and angelfish do ok but idk if that's just pure luck or what...I don't wanna push the limits with the fish just want the best out of its potential

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not Angel fish. Firemouths do better in groups & they grow to 4 - 7 inches. A group of four might be pushing it a little, but with a large 50% water change a week, good filtration & well constructed hardscape maybe doable.

OP
Sani Fabian

Sani Fabian

Reaction score
A201 said:
Not Angel fish. Firemouths do better in groups & they grow to 4 - 7 inches. A group of four might be pushing it a little, but with a large 50% water change a week, good filtration & well constructed hardscape maybe doable.
Ehhh ill just stixk to the 2 BPs... would 3 be pushing it in a 60? With the bottom dwellers and a school?

BIGM32

Reaction score
SanI Fabian said:
You think if be able to put any othet cichlids in there? I see firemouths and angelfish do ok but idk if that's just pure luck or what...I don't wanna push the limits with the fish just want the best out of its potential
I have a 60 gallon with 2 blood partots,two firemouths, 2 green Texas chiclids,a Blue acara and orange severeum,also 2 blue polar convict chiclids. I will eventually get a 200 gallon tank but hope this helps as these are good tank mates.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Those are great tank mates for bp's, but I don't think they would work long term in this size tank

JonJal

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SanI Fabian said:
I have a 60 gallon freshwater taank will be heated I was wondering if I could do a pair of BPs or just one also if I can do a pair can they have tank mates as well? I will have little decor for hideing and a wave maker as well
Blood parrots get big. 8" or "9. 2 of them in a 60 is a little restricted in my opinion, especially with tank mates and any decorations. It would work, but not much swimming room once they've matured. I've got 3 in a 120 gallon. They love to eat and are growing quickly. With all my driftwood and rocks I may need to make adjustments as they get bigger. Give your fish plenty of room for swimming. A healthy fish is a happy fish.

OP
Sani Fabian

Sani Fabian

Reaction score
My LFS was selling
JonJal said:
Blood parrots get big. 8" or "9. 2 of them in a 60 is a little restricted in my opinion, especially with tank mates and any decorations. It would work, but not much swimming room once they've matured. I've got 3 in a 120 gallon. They love to eat and are growing quickly. With all my driftwood and rocks I may need to make adjustments as they get bigger. Give your fish plenty of room for swimming. A healthy fish is a happy fish.
My LFS was selling 3 for a sale so I got 3... I'm going to get 1 catfish and that's it and stay on top of the W/C... I'm going to get another HOB filter as well or a sponge filter

I know I'm going to get hated for the 3 but they were so cute....

New Threads