Blood Parrots In Community Tank?

Sonya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is the second time I've received "extra" fish with my online order. This time I received 3 blood parrots. I am fairly sure this is going to be a problem when they get bigger. Does anyone have experience with blood parrots in community tanks?
IMG_8695.JPG

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have one pretty personable parrot in a planted 36gal with 7 corydoras and 2 BN plecos. The little guy will sometimes "charge" at the other fish but because of its deformed mouth he can't really harm anyone. Ideally you want them in large tank with similarly sized cichlids. They can be a bit mean but if there's enough room they should be fine.

How large is your tank? Looks larger than a 55gal and the stocking looks pretty good too so I don't think you will have too many problems. They are usually fairly calm or so I hear, just keep an eye on them.

How did you get "extra" fish exactly? Just curious.

Sonya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have one pretty personable parrot in a planted 36gal with 7 corydoras and 2 BN plecos. The little guy will sometimes "charge" at the other fish but because of its deformed mouth he can't really harm anyone. Ideally you want them in large tank with similarly sized cichlids. They can be a bit mean but if there's enough room they should be fine.

How large is your tank? Looks larger than a 55gal and the stocking looks pretty good too so I don't think you will have too many problems. They are usually fairly calm or so I hear, just keep an eye on them.

How did you get "extra" fish exactly? Just curious.
Thanks for the insight. This tank is 120g - so hopefully enough room. I did just watch them tear apart a shrimp... an Angel fish joined in on the hunt.
I order most of my fish from Live Aquaria. About a month ago I received a gold nugget plecos that I didn't order (or pay for) and this time 3 blood parrot hitch hikers!
I have a totally empty 240g almost ready for stocking (still scaping). If things get rough, I can move them.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's actually a bit annoying, because what if you didn't have room for these extra fish? I'd contact them and let them know of their mistake.

Sonya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's actually a bit annoying, because what if you didn't have room for these extra fish? I'd contact them and let them know of their mistake.
It is annoying - They gave me 30% off my next order. I'm about to stock a 240 gallon aquarium from scratch… So they may regret that. It is still annoying though. It's not like they sent me five extra tetras. Three cichlids that will get to be 6 inches long and aggressive… Gee thanks!
is

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We could help you incorporate them into your 240 gal if you want to keep them? An LFS may take them in for trade or credit too, if you didn't.

Sonya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unfortunately, my Local fish stores are pretty nasty Which is why I order online. The Parrots are already making me a little nervous in their current tank 120g (chasing my otos) and my elephant nose REALLY isn't a fan (Another fish I didn't select, given to me as a gift). It seems funny to build up a tank around 3 fish I didn't order, but you know how it is. They have such cute little faces what am I going to do? You actually gave me some great advice on stocking my 75 gallon tank, and those fish get along so well! I would greatly appreciate your stocking advice/tips/expertise for my 240 gallon! I was thinking about some keyhole cichlids, silver dollars, skirt tetras, a red tail shark, some Peacock Gudgeons, some type of loaches and my current 3 bp -- I have hardish water but a neutral pH. The aquasoil substrate I use also lowers pH a bit to bring it to 6.6. I plan on having a moderately planted tank with plenty of hardscape. Thanks for your help

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd leave out the gudgeons - they're rather small and are likely to be lost/outcompeted. I might go with something larger than keyholes, too, like chocolate cichlid or severums.

Are you going to use the aquasoil in the 240? That'll be super expensive - you can grow plants just fine with cheap sand, if you're interested. It won't change the pH either.

Sonya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So true about the aqua soil - I have a few bags in there now. And I was planning to mix in some cheaper substrate too - My pockets aren't that deep!
I will check out the severums and chocolate cichlids - Thanks!

Sonya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd leave out the gudgeons - they're rather small and are likely to be lost/outcompeted. I might go with something larger than keyholes, too, like chocolate cichlid or severums.

Are you going to use the aquasoil in the 240? That'll be super expensive - you can grow plants just fine with cheap sand, if you're interested. It won't change the pH either.
I just checked out the chocolate cichlid and various severums...wow! I realize now that I know very little about cichlids. I thought they were all pretty much aggressive and you had to keep an overly stocked tank to keep aggression down...I had no idea there were so many gentle giants out there in the cichlids world. Now I'm excited def getting a chocolate and some severums. Do I need a couple schools of other fish to keep these shy cichlids out and about? Maybe a school of giant danios and some rainbows? So glad I connected w/you here. I was about to get a bunch of smaller fish that would've totally been lost in such a big tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom