Blood Parrot's Gills

ssbon18

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had my 2 blood red parrots for a little over 1 year. They were about 2 inches long when I bought them and are now 4-5 inches. They are doing fine very playful and active. They seem happy however I have noticed now that they are bigger when they breath behind their gills I can see all the red stuff inside. They don't seem to be bothered by it but I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

I originally had them in my 65 gallon tank that was fully cycled before purchasing them. I have since upgraded them to a 75 gallon tank. I change their water every 3 weeks approximately and have always changed about 75% of the water (I do less frequent water changes but when I do, I do change a bigger amount of water).

The parameters are: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrate never over 40. However, when I do a water change my tap water does have ammonia in it, I put Prime while I do the water change and ammonia is back to 0 by the following day.

As long as the fish are acting fine, is the gills something I should worry about ? Nothing seems attached to them(like worms or anything).

I have a video showing how they breathe and you can see the red stuff behind their gills, will try to upload it below:

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's pretty normal for blood parrots to have funky gills because of their deformities. They are funky hybrids and some just have weird gills and mouths. Nothing to worry about so long as they're acting normal.

New Threads