Blood parrots are not stop fighting. Need help

Hevtal

Dear all,
This is my first post in this forum.
One month ago for the first time I bought a fish tank with two blood parrots.
After a while one of them hurt the other. The shop told me that it need more than one in the tank.
I bought too more. But they weren’t stop of fighting. Two of them are died.
but still the two remaining one are fighting and sometimes hurt each other.
I separated them, but I don’t feel I have a fish, because both of them hiding in one place without moving, when I remove the splitter they will start fighting again.
I appreciate your advice.
Thanks

Attachments

Utar

Well Known
Welcome to fishlore.
My suggestion is to separate them by putting one in another tank. If you can't do this the see if you can return one back to the lfs, or find someone that can take one.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
how big is that tank they are in? They look to be around 3"-4" currently.

I would get rid off the blood parrots personally, or just keep 1 in the tank alone.

Make a long story short, my friend gave me all his SA/CA cichlids that included an 8" blood parrot. First few months everyone got along then all of the sudden it started acting very territorial and would not stop harassing the largely Vieja in the tank. The BP would chase the Vieja around all the time, and get into lip locking fights with it. I tried keeping it in a separate tank for a week or 2 at a time to let it chill out but it never worked. It always went back and attacked the Vieja. Currently it's in a 50 gallon stock tank "pond" on our covered deck in our backyard.

OP
Hevtal

Hevtal

Utar said:
Welcome to fishlore.
My suggestion is to separate them by putting one in another tank. If you can't do this the see if you can return one back to the lfs, or find someone that can take one.
Thank you for your reply. I did separate them, but as I said they are always hide themselves.
Can I put some other fishes with them? I just want to have a peaceful fish tank

OP
Hevtal

Hevtal

Islandvic said:
how big is that tank they are in? They look to be around 3"-4" currently.

I would get rid off the blood parrots personally, or just keep 1 in the tank alone.

Make a long story short, my friend gave me all his SA/CA cichlids that included an 8" blood parrot. First few months everyone got along then all of the sudden it started acting very territorial and would not stop harassing the largely Vieja in the tank. The BP would chase the Vieja around all the time, and get into lip locking fights with it. I tried keeping it in a separate tank for a week or 2 at a time to let it chill out but it never worked. It always went back and attacked the Vieja. Currently it's in a 50 gallon stock tank "pond" on our covered deck in our backyard.
Thank you so much for your information.
The tank size is: h=28cm, w=45cm and l=25cm.
Maybe I have a smaller tank that have 2 glofishs and one bettafish, maybe I just keep one of them and put it in the small tank and have more fishes in the current tank. Do you think it is better?

Attachments

New Threads