Blood Parrot with gill curl

Joshua G

Hi all
I have a big blood parrot in my 75g tank and it has had gill curl since it was very small. It is so bad that you can see the red worm like stuff sticking out. I never thought it was a problem, I just thought he was born this way. He has always been happy and healthy. But the problem is that recently my denison barbs / roseline sharks started to nip / bite the worm like stuff that is hanging out. The blood parrot still seams to be happy but he looks annoyed when they nip it. Is there any way I can maybe cure the gill curl or stop the barbs from nipping him? Or is my only option to rehome the barbs? I can't get a good photo but I will screenshot one from google that looks the same.
Thanks in advance

A201

The topic of "Gill Curl" doesn't come up very often.
Looks like a deformity to me, not the stringy, deteriorating gills of Gill Curl. Either way, doubtful the Denison Barbs nippjng are going to kill the BP.

Joshua G

thanks for the reply. so it's not a problem at all if they nip they nip him under his gill?

A201

If the BP is completely immobile & helpless, then constant nipping at the stringy gill filamenrs might be harmful.
If the BP swims & feeds normally, likely no problems.
Denison Barbs are becoming fairly difficult to find in my area & when available cost between $10 - $17 a piece. Maybe think twice about giving them away, try selling.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JoshuaG55
Replies
Views
Ed204
Replies
Views
Meatwad
Replies
Views