Blood Parrot Stocking

1. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Would one work in a 40g breeder? I know they can get up to 8 inches.

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

I think you could do a pair in a 40g.

3. OP
    OP
    Castiel*

How about a blood parrot and a firemouth. :)

4. Kenny777

No I wouldn't do a pair of Firemouths and blood parrots that could start problems or even in s I wouldn't consider it. They are both territorial and very aggressive it's one or the other.

5. OP
    OP
    Castiel*

Well I have a juv blood parrot in my 30g right now I impulse bought. (1.5inches) can't have anything over a 40g tank in apartment so that's next step is the 40 breeder. I suppose a convict would bicker with him too? Not really looking to do a pair.

Otherwise was thinking a school of 10-15x Buenos Aires Tetra with the one parrot.

6. Kenny777

Hmm not sure, @Anders247 would know or @tyguy7760 or @TexasDomer will know!

7. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

I would keep it at one. I have a pair in a 90g and they are at about 4 inches each. I have a JD with them but not sure if he will have to move-still a juvenile. I also have baby clown loach (5 for now) as I was infested with snails. The current stocking is juvenile so not truly worried. Your blood parrot will probably interact with you and doesn't necessarily need anyone else, imo.

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I definitely would not put a convict in with him. In fact I would not put any other cichlids in with him. I'd upgrade to the 40b as soon as possible because the minimum for a blood parrot is really 55 gallons. Though a 40b has more square footage but lacks a bit in length. A 40b will give the parrot a nice home for many years until it maxes out. I'd look at getting a nice hardy catfish or two for the bottom (hoplo cats would be good) and a school of dithers

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with tyguy.