Blood Parrot-solo Or In Groups?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
A friend of mine has recently bought a BP for his 75g, but wants to know if they need "friends" to be more comfortable since it's very shy and hides most of the time. We've both been digging around and can't really get a straight answer. So there's the question, should I tell him to get 1-2 more, or is just one good?

NC122606

Well Known
nikm128 said:
A friend of mine has recently bought a BP for his 75g, but wants to know if they need "friends" to be more comfortable since it's very shy and hides most of the time. We've both been digging around and can't really get a straight answer. So there's the question, should I tell him to get 1-2 more, or is just one good?
I honestly think (s)he should get at least a pair since they are very social at least when I went to the fish store.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
I think you're right, I don't think I've ever seen one kept by itself before either but I just wanted to be sure. Plus they're pretty mild in aggression IMO. I'll let him know to get another one, currently has a female so should I help him pick out another female or a male?

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Alright, I'll do my best to pick a second female then. Hopefully the few differences they have at lfs size are reliable enough to go off of.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
NC122606 said:
I mean if wants to breed them and they are the only thing in the tank I would say a pair. If not then female.
BP are generally infertile. You would need a different cichlid with a fertile BP female to get Frankenstein results.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Fashooga said:
BP are generally infertile. You would need a different cichlid with a fertile BP female to get Frankenstein results.
So does that mean I don't need to worry about the sex of either one? Would they still try to breed a couple times and still get aggressive to anything else he puts in the tank?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
If you did get a breeding pair and there’s nobody in the tank they’ll be ok. Their might be territory issues that usually comes with cichlids.

Perhaps your friend should consider a schooling fish so it help ease concerns.

New Threads