Blood Parrot question

Syed

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I went to a Petsmart and was browsing when I saw baby blood Parrots. I read these fish can`t close their mouths due to deformity and being hybrid man made fish. But a few of them were closing their mouths and opening them. Do they lose their ability to do so as they get older? It was bugging me so what`s all of your opinions on this?

raven4d

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
nop !

the old blood-parrot are just like the small once in the shape but in bigger size and lighter color , that's why you must feed it with red-parrot special food to keep it red .

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

The Bloody Parrots mouth is actually inside the parrot shaped beak. If you look down the fishes mouth (next time you're in the store) you'll see it open and close on the inside. The part that looks like the lips do not close.

This is why Bloody Parrots can't defend themselves as other fish do. They can't bite.

Ken

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
raven4d said:
nop !

the old blood-parrot are just like the small once in the shape but in bigger size and lighter color , that's why you must feed it with red-parrot special food to keep it red .
Actually food is not what makes them orange. This is the color they turn as they get mature. Any good food will make our fish healthier and their colors will be more vibrant when healthy.
Carol

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I agree Carol. I don't put much faith in color enhancing foods. Just a good varied diet will go along way

Ken

Syed

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just to give a quick update. Here is the Parrot cichlid I saw at the store. I happened to buy him so...
562.jpg

The tag said Blood Parrot cichlid. But after some research I came to the conclusion it maybe a Jelly Bean cichlid. Ideas?

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Syed said:
JThe tag said Blood Parrot cichlid. But after some research I came to the conclusion it maybe a Jelly Bean cichlid. Ideas?
Aren't those the same thing? But I'm no expert so let's see what others say.

Syed

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LICfish said:
Aren't those the same thing? But I'm no expert so let's see what others say.
I don't think they are. As far as I know Blood parrot cichlids are a cross of 2 different cichlids and Jellybeans are a cross of Blood parrot cichlids and convict cichlids. The thing is though the LFS was selling this guy under Blood Parrot cichlid.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks like a Jellybean Convict to me.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I agree with the above posters that it appears to be a Jelly Bean. Beautiful fish though!

Ken

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
looks like a pink con to me

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you Shawnie! I knew you had some and I was hoping you would reply.

I have a difficult time telling the two apart. Jelly Bean and Pink Con.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads