Blood Parrot Issue

Bradley Moles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Main issue:
Blood Parrot is shoving everyone and everything, especially around feeding time. I hope moving to the bigger tank will fix this issue. My concern is that they are very intelligent and playful fish. Should I possibly buy him a friend or would they fight or team up and fight the other fish?

About to move a blood parrot, and his “friends”, from a 30 gallon to a 125 gallon. They will be joining 2 juvenile blue acara, 4 good sized discus, 2 good sized angel fish, and a fig rainbow shark. I will include a total list of all the fish that will be included in the tank below:

1 blood parrot

3 blue acara

2 common pleco

3 kuhli loaches

4 cory cats

1 striped raphael cat

1 zebra loach

2 rainbow shark

4 discus

2 angel

3 clown loach

Bradley Moles

Valued Member
Reaction score
He hasn’t been as aggressive since I put him in the larger tank but a larger rainbow shark is trying to kill the other. Anything to do about it or just give away the small one to someone?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe rainbow sharks should only be one in a tank. If there’s another it will go after it. So you can let them go at it and keep the winner or rehome one of the sharks.

You might want to get rid of one or both plecos since they will get big and they already produce a lot of waste.

As for the BP. It should be fine.

Bradley Moles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Only one of the plecos is a decent size and he has really long, stringy poop. Is there any way to fix this?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know if it is a good idea to keep a blood parrot with a discus. They might nip. Btw anything under 6 inches will probably become food for him when he gets older. Caution

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bradley Moles said:
Thank you for the advice. Only one of the plecos is a decent size and he has really long, stringy poop. Is there any way to fix this?
It depends on the color of the poop. If it’s brown nothing to frown about. If it’s white, that’s not right.

Bradley Moles

Valued Member
Reaction score
It’s either clear or green poop. The discus are bigger than the BP right now, he’s almost 3 inches and the discus and angels are at least 4 inches. The discus are not aggressive at all and don’t nip. When the blood parrot is full size will he eat the cory cats?

Hipsterkipster

Reaction score
Plecos normally have stringy poop. You can love the labor of grabbing a turkey baster and picking up all of it if it bothers you.

Your BP will be generally harmless if his mouth is an upside down triangle. They take years to be full sized; you'll be able to figure out if he'll attack your other fish. Some cover for the cories and you should be fine with a tank that large. Luckily, you have a 30 gallon off to the side to move him (or any aggressive fish) out if need be.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bradley Moles said:
It’s either clear or green poop. The discus are bigger than the BP right now, he’s almost 3 inches and the discus and angels are at least 4 inches. The discus are not aggressive at all and don’t nip. When the blood parrot is full size will he eat the cory cats?
The parrots may nip the discus is what I meant. Many people say that if the mouth is open than they won't be able to eat a fish, but the part that you see is the lip and right behind it is the actual mouth and tooth. Previous generations of BP this may apply, however most BPs in sale in store are no longer like that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom