Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Blood Parrot Information Please

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by Allmyfishesloveme, Apr 15, 2019.

1. AllmyfisheslovemeNew MemberMember

Can someone give me more info on the blood parrot cichlids please?

2. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Hi! I am a blood parrot expert, my favorite fish is my blood parrot. Here is what I think you should know:

Tank size:

Blood parrots should have a minimum of 40 gallons. It should be a 40 gallon breeder tank. Any thing bigger than that should work.
    Tank mates:
    Blood parrots can have several kinds of tank mates. Blood parrots have a big attitude and like to be the boss of the tank, however they can’t really do any physical damage because of their deformed mouths. I personally keep my blood parrot with a Oscar, a few different species of catfish, a gourami, a firemouth cichlid, and I even once house him with a flowerhorn (he got aggressive with my Oscars so he had to move out however he never bothered my BP). My BP lives in a 130 with his tank mates.
    Diet:
    I feed my blood parrot freeze dried krill everyday. Blood parrots need a lot of protein and he eats anything he can. He eats the krill, the pellets for the catfish, and anything else I put in there.
    Challenges in keeping these fish:
    Blood parrots are man made fish so they have some challenges about keeping them.
    1. There mouths. Blood parrots have deformed mouths and they commonly have trouble eating so you have to find food they can eat
    2. They poop a lot. Blood parrots poop a lot and need lots of water changes
    3. They can be bossy. When blood parrots are young they can do damage. My BP almost killed my Oscar when they were young. When they are older they can do anything, but watch them when they are young.
    Things to watch for:
    You should obviously lookout for common illness like ich, but here are some other things:
    1. Blood parrots should not be thin. Blood parrots need a lot of food and should look kinda chunky. If you have a full grown blood parrot that is thin that is not good
    2. Make sure they are orangish in color. Blood parrots should have a nice orange color, they shouldn’t be dull in color.
    3. Don’t get the baby BP’s with other colors in them. Some blood parrots get ingected with dye when they are young, this will cause health problems later on

Other notes:
    If you do things right blood parrots can be a very rewarding fish to keep. They have a massive personality and they love their owners. My BP Captain is my favorite fish and he is so interactive. He follows me around everywhere and if I try to interact with other fish in his tank he will push them out of his way to interact with me, lol. Here is Captain and if you have any questions let me know :)image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

P.S. blood parrots like to have caves they can hide in :)

EDIT: I just realized that I didn’t put how big they grown on there lol! They grow to about 8 inches long :)

3. AllmyfisheslovemeNew MemberMember

Thank you so much!!! That was extremely informative! My blood parrot is a survivor from a tank where I had added a diseased fish which ended up killing everyone but the BP, I completely changed everything in the tank to rid the disease (drastic, I know), he ended up surviving the whole ordeal. I kept him alone for awhile and then decided to add an african cichlid (girraffe) in hopes that he wouldn't contract some disease the BP may have been hiding. Turns out they're both totally fine! Decided to add two more african cichlids and have plans to move them into a 60gal soon. I absolutely love my cichlids! They have huge personalities and seem pretty intelligent. Always following me!
    Thanks again for your helpful post!!

Ps. Love your aquarium!! I've always wanted to get an oscar, maybe one day! (In a larger tank, of course)
    :)

4. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

You welcome! Let me know if you have any more questions, just wondering:
    What tank size are they in now and how big is your BP

5. AllmyfisheslovemeNew MemberMember

They are in a 29gal, very young! BP is about 1.5 inches long right now. African cichlids are about 1.25 inches long wise. Really excited to get the 60gal started up!!

6. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Give me an update when it gets bigger! I remember when my BP was that small....
    They grow quickly, make sure to have that tank up ASAP. Blood parrots will let you know when they want a new tank, my BP started to become lethargic and stopped eating when he got to big for his tank (he used to be in a 29).

7. AllmyfisheslovemeNew MemberMember

Will do!! And yes I really need to get that 60gal started so it can be ready for them when the time comes

8. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Good luck :)