Blood Parrot Dying, Egg Bound, Constipated...dropsy?

Idontlikepie

Have a blood parrot, not sure how old, I've had her for 2 years but she's definitely smaller than my other 2 blood parrots. Everyone else in the community tank is doing great, great color and eating. This little lady on the other hand, not so much.

This has started a few days before Thanksgiving. First she just started staying in one area, head pointed downwards (just like in picture) so we thought, oh she's going to lay eggs. Our other 2 females have laid eggs multiple times, this little female has not. Then we noticed it looks like she could only swim vertically, again not really leaving that area. Then noticed here and there she would swim horizontally but not for long periods of time, almost a slight struggle.

She then started to get black streaks along her mouth, "nostrils" up by her dorsal fin and faintly in some spots on her tail fin. So we gave her an Epsom salt bath. Nothing. Even when taking her out of the tank, she didn't put up a fight in the net, just kind of laid in it. Now mind you she hasn't eaten anything (or that I've noticed) this entire time. Pellets, blood worms, peas...not interested. Then last night, noticed her vent(?) is sticking out more than usual. Just like when the other females are about to lay, but without the energy or agressivness that normal goes along with laying eggs.

Any ideas? We were thinking of possibly trying to manually massage her to see what happens.
20171202_053757.jpg
20171202_053757.jpg
20171202_053803.jpg
20171202_053813.jpg
20171202_053840.jpg
20171202_053847.jpg

TexasDomer

Welcome to Fishlore! I'm sorry this problem has brought you here.

Can you give us some more information? Tank size and tank mates?

Water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?

The vertical swimming sounds like a swim bladder issue, and the extended vent could be a prolapse. Do you have a QT tank you could put her in?

Idontlikepie

Its 125 gal. The tank mates are 2 female blood parrots, gold servum, 2 female electric yellows and a jack dempsey. I did a water change the day before thanksgiving ,20% she had already started the vertical position at that point. I have an fluval fx6 filter on it so it does a pretty **** good job keeping things in check. I know when I tested the water last week everything was in normal range but I'll check again. Everyone else in the tank is doing great. I don't have a 1st tank but I do have a bucket I can try and keep her in. She's slowing down now as I type this ..sort
20171202_105257.jpg of drifting

Idontlikepie

Oh and tank is at 79-80°

Idontlikepie

Just tested the water.
PH-7.2
Ammonia- 0-.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrates are high though -80ppm

Idontlikepie

I'm currently working on treating the nitrate issue and she's in QT wish Epsom salt as well.

TexasDomer

You have stocking issues if you'd like to discuss them, but that shouldn't be the reason for her issues.

How's she doing now?

Definitely do more and/or larger water changes to get nitrates lower and get ammonia lower.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ble373
Replies
Views
EmmaH
  • Question
Replies
Views
astolgie
Replies