55 Gallon Tank Blood Parrot Companions?

Florence

I've had a male/female pair of blood parrots for years in a 55 gallon tank. They got along great, no aggression towards each other. I recently upgraded my filters from HOBs to a canister filter(same media used, nothing lost), and changed my gravel to PFS due to the amount of waste getting lost in the rocks and to the females new obsession with trying to eat the gravel. The substrate change stirred up a slight amount of ammonia, around
.25 or less. I did a 20% change and added some prime. No more ammonia, but the male got what I believed to be rapid onset popeye, if such a thing exists. His eyes bulged and his breathing became labored all within 6 hours of the change. They were moved to a filtered 5 gallon bucket for 30 min while I changed things. I set up a quarantine but by the morning he was dead. My female has no complications and is in perfect health. She was never aggressive towards him, but she might be so towards others.

My question is is there some sort of dither fish I could put in with her? Her mouth works fine, so she can eat just about anything the size of a pinky finger. (She's about 8 inches) I'm worried that because it's "her" tank she won't be open minded with sharing, but she seems a little lost with him not being there after all these years.

I also have a 5 inch common pleco in the tank as well.

I apologize for the rambling, I always go off when I post.

Tony_097

They pretty much go with anything that won't fit in their mouths I was able to keep one long time ago with a convict with out aggression until the convict snapped. No aggression with angels either maybe a school of black skirt tetras would be nice.

A201

XL Buenos Aires Tetras have been the best dither fish I've kept. They are fast, durable and for an inexpensive fish, very colorful. I've kept them with Red & Green Terrors, with little problem.

Fishwifery

Why not another parrot?

Florence

Fishwifery said:
Why not another parrot?
I thought about that, but I worry she won't be as tolerant to another of her kind since they would be trespassing. She got along great with the male because he was very submissive and peaceful, and never challenged her. Plus she would be so much larger than any parrot I put in there, as juveniles sold near me are about 2 inches and she is more than tripled their size.

Florence

Tony_097 said:
They pretty much go with anything that won't fit in their mouths I was able to keep one long time ago with a convict with out aggression until the convict snapped. No aggression with angels either maybe a school of black skirt tetras would be nice.
Black skirt tetras do look nice, but I'm worried that she might bully them slightly while I'm not there. She's an angel when I'm in the room, but her curiosity can lead to negative outcomes due to her size. Can they take being bumped into and/or possibly chased? The tank is semI planted with swords. Would this work for cover?

Florence

A201 said:
XL Buenos Aires Tetras have been the best dither fish I've kept. They are fast, durable and for an inexpensive fish, very colorful. I've kept them with Red & Green Terrors, with little problem.
They sound good except their profile says they eat plants. I have the tank semI planted with swords, and they would have a field day in there.

Tony_097

Black skirt tetras are preety fast and with cover I say they would be safe my convict chases one but he never gets far.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom