Blood Parrot Color Change

1. N

Necroniser New Member Member

I recently got a hold of 2 new blood parrots about 3 inches or so and they went in my 75g and seem fully happy. However, one of them had a small spotty black patch which over the past few days has began to cover the fish. The other one had none of these spots and has now gotten one small one on him. I would presume this is a color change in part due to the environment being very neutral earthy colors but i want to make sure it isnt a weird kind of fungus. Let me know if you want pictures of the other parrot. The water parameters are all 0, the plants manage to keep up with the waste created. My elephantnose died the other day but the cause was unknown, potentially from harassment and stress from the parrots being added. They dont seem to be acting weird or anything and seem happy to tug on plants and swim around without bother from the other fish in the tank.

Attached Files:

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, Welcome to Fishlore!
    What are your water parameters? I'm mainly concerned about ammonia, but the rest would be helpful as well. Do you know the pH?

3. OP
    OP
    N

All the water parameters are 0, ph sits about 7.4

4. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

When somebody says they are all zero i have to ask are you using RO water and doing 90% water changes because zero nitrates is not really a good sign and a feat to achieve if you ask me in a cycled tank, i have 3 of these fish and they are happy and don't display any signs of stress, (black marks) even in nitrates up to 80ppm for me but i notice at my lfs some arrive in bad shape due to poor gene pools but as this fish is new it could be due to the re locate. Also how are they behaving toward each other ? They can be nightmares especially in a pair.

5. OP
    OP
    N

By 0 i mean ive seen ammonia rise and fall, nitrites rise and fall and nitrate is MAYBE 5 but even thatd be pushing it. I have quite a good amount of plants and some algae and the few fish i have would be understocked if they were full grown but they arent even close yet. The one with the spots is a little bit more aggressive but no sort of actual nipping, the most it ever does is follow the other one not chasing but the other seems to not like being touched by it but still swim together happily. I noticed when i first put them in the one with spots harassed the yoyo loach to go away and didnt seem to actually do any damage to him and he didnt run so im presuming he didnt care. However, theyre all peaceful in the tank now and i havent seen anymore interaction

6. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmmm i wonder what was with the ammonia that should be flat out zero full stop. If your cycled its probably just the re-locate especially with young ones they really do need comforts like pits to hide in. I use plant pots chopped to size 3707e503a56414a496aff0dca366cb42.jpg