Blood Parrot Cichlids...

1. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

So I've been interested in Parrot Cichlids for a hot minute now. But I just want something confirmed. Do Blood Parrots REALLY only need 30 gallons? I can't imagine an 8-10 inch fish in that small of a tank. I have a 37 gallon that I would have him in. But are they just lazy fish that don't need a big home? Or is this misinformation that I'm finding absolutely everywhere?

2. emerald6

emerald6 Valued Member Member

It's not worth trying. Even if your BP only needs 37 gallons worth of swimming space if it's lazy, why only provide the bare minimum? It's not humane to keep a 8ish inch fish in such a small space anyway.

3. OP
    OP
    Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Well that's why I'm confused. I read multiple sites that said 30 gallons was just fine for an adult 8-10 inch Blood Parrot and 10 gallons for each additional Parrot. So I wanted some information on here to whether he/she would be happy in a 37 gallon. Or if anyone on here had them to let me know if this is accurate. I only plan to get one, so he'd have the whole 37 to himself.

4. T

ThePuzzleMaker Valued Member Member

Blood parrots can survive in a 30g but they won`t really thrive. I kept blood parrot in a 30 breeder and he lived well for a few years full grown. He was happy but after a while I felt really guilty that I kept him in such a "small" aquarium. So I found him a home with a friend that had a 75 gallon BP community.
    I really miss him sometimes but I am glad that he has a better home, that I couldn`t give him at the time.
    You can keep him in a 37g, I wouldn`t recommend it for moral reasons more than the fishes ability to live happily.

5. Lchi87

Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

55g is considered the minimum size here for one blood parrot and 75g for two. They will grow pretty quickly to the 5 inch mark but grow slowly after that. I wouldn’t advise getting one unless you have a 55g. My 5-6 inch female makes use of every inch of her 55 and she’ll be getting a much larger tank once I move out of my tiny apartment lol.

6. OP
    OP
    Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Okay. That makes total sense. Thank you so much! I will decide something else. Does anyone know what would be good in a 37? I was wanting like one (maybe a pair?) fish...

7. Lchi87

Technically this should be a new thread but.. what’s the rest of your stocking? What temperature do you keep it all?

8. OP
    OP
    Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

There's two mollys and two platies. Which I got just to start up the tank. My roommate will take them if they cant stay. It's temperature is 78 F

(Anything that eats snails is welcomed as the 37 has pest snail issues)

9. Lchi87

You could do a pair of bolivian rams if you want to stick with cichlids?

10. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

I second the ram cichlids. For the snails look for a golden zebra loach or a yoyo loach. I think I read that some gourami even eat those snails. If it gets too bad put some cucumbers in there and take them out(full of snails) the next day and throw it away.