Blood Parrot Cichlid With Zebra Danios

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can a single blood parrot be kept with zebra danios?
I am asking this question on behalf of a friend, my tank is not large enough to keep a blood parrot (though it would have been nice if I could have kept them cause bI simply adore how they look and behave).
Anyway coming back to the question, can the zebra danios be eaten or injured by the blood parrot if they are kept together?
He has 8 zebra danios and has bought a single parrot chichlid that is around 3 inch size now.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel like a blood parrot cichlid will try to hunt down zebra danios.

Here's a rule of thumb: If something is small enough to be eaten, fish will try to eat them.

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dither Fish for a Blood Red Parrot Cichlid

Here's what I found on the internet.
I was looking for this answer and I found this on a website.
Is the info given on the website wrong?
I am sharing both the link of the website and screenshot of what's written in there regarding this.

Attachments

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also almost every website says that parrot chichlid can be kept with corydoras which is only of 2.5 inch, just .5 inch bigger than the zebra danios.
The parrot cichlid will stay mostly from middle to bottom layer of the tank, the cories also stay at the bottom whereas the zebra danios stays at the top layer of the tank and they are pretty fast.
So if the cories are safe, then why the danios are not safe?
Can someone please explain me this.

@DoubleDutch @scarface @Platylover @david1978 @chromedome52

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also almost every website says that parrot chichlid can be kept with corydoras which is only of 2.5 inch, just .5 inch bigger than the zebra danios.
The parrot cichlid will stay mostly from middle to bottom layer of the tank, the cories also stay at the bottom whereas the zebra danios stays at the top layer of the tank and they are pretty fast.
So if the cories are safe, then why the danios are not safe?
Can someone please explain me this.

@DoubleDutch @scarface @Platylover @david1978 @chromedome52
I can’t explain it for you but I wouldn’t hesitate putting them with blood parrots. I have 4 and they only bother each other. I would be hesitant on the corys just because if they did get ahold of one it could get stuck in their mouth/throat and kill them.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really don't know and can only guesels.

Don't had Parrots pretty small mouths ?

Most Corys are higher than the mentioned danios. Also they have skutes instead of scales and spines in their fins. So a danio will be quite easier to eat if wanted.

I've seen Angels with a Cory stuck in its mouth and even a drunk student with one in his throat (The C.aeneus is in the museum now).

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
even a drunk student with one in his throat
What?

Are they anything like convict cichlids? Cuz mine ate my danios. And my Chinese Algae Eater, which was apparently abnormal in that it wasn't aggressive (I did call him Skitzo, like schizophrenic, for a reason). Woke up one day to see the cichlid slurping down the spine like a noodle.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom