Blood parrot cichlid turning black

Ashleydoak

Reaction score
I got my BP and 3 other fish from pet supermarket about a week ago. We asked the worker if all the fish were okay to be in the same tank he said yes. That same trip we bought a normal sized fish bowl and he said they would all fit and be fine but when we got home they were too cramped and the BP wasn’t getting along with the other fish. The next day we got a ten gallon tank and put them all in it and he was still harassing the other fish. He’s now in his own 10 gallon tank with a heater, a filter and lots of hiding places and some swimming room but he’s steadily turning black. We know he needs a bigger tank and we’re wanting to get one but if he is going to die soon of something we can’t fix we don’t want to invest in a tank that large. He’s been moved from tank to tank a lot so we’ve been thinking it’s stress but it keeps getting worse! Also we have checked the PH levels and the temperatures and they are both what they should be. Please does anyone have any advice that will save Buford?!

Attachments

OP
A

Ashleydoak

Reaction score
Ashleydoak said:
I got my BP and 3 other fish from pet supermarket about a week ago. We asked the worker if all the fish were okay to be in the same tank he said yes. That same trip we bought a normal sized fish bowl and he said they would all fit and be fine but when we got home they were too cramped and the BP wasn’t getting along with the other fish. The next day we got a ten gallon tank and put them all in it and he was still harassing the other fish. He’s now in his own 10 gallon tank with a heater, a filter and lots of hiding places and some swimming room but he’s steadily turning black. We know he needs a bigger tank and we’re wanting to get one but if he is going to die soon of something we can’t fix we don’t want to invest in a tank that large. He’s been moved from tank to tank a lot so we’ve been thinking it’s stress but it keeps getting worse! Also we have checked the PH levels and the temperatures and they are both what they should be. Please does anyone have any advice that will save Buford?!
Side note I have never heard of a BP before Buford or much less had one So everything I know has come from the internet.

OP
A

Ashleydoak

Reaction score
Ashleydoak said:
Anybody?

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to fishlore. There's a couple possibilities here. First, was the tank cycled and what are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates)? It could be ammonia poisoning and that's the easiest one to rule out by testing for ammonia.

I've also been told many times that parrots can turn black when stressed. I personally never encountered this with my parrots, but with everything you described I would guess your fish is pretty stressed.

From my personal experience with parrots, they would get black spots like this consistently as they grew. Mine would have spots pop up maybe monthly (if I remember correctly), and they would disappear after a couple days. I attributed this to a growth spurt as I could notice some growth anytime they got spots, and now that they are fully grown they no longer get them.

You are correct in that he will need a bigger tank (I'd recommend at least a 55 with how big and beefy parrots get), but since he's still a baby a 10 can hold him for a little bit. What other fish did you buy from the store? Those may or may not be okay in a 10 gallon.

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do not trust store employees. They are often only out to sell stuff, unfortunately. Fish can not live in bowels, especially 4 at the same time, and especially something as large as a blood parrot. It looks like he is probably suffering from ammonia poisoning. You should do a large water change. Do you have a filter? Do you have a heater? Do you have a bubbler? Parameters?

I'm sorry you got tricked into these fish. Just the BP will require at least a 55 gallon tank. What are the other fish? If your not sure, post a picture. No matter what they are, they will need a proper tank with filtration. Fish bowls are inhumane and cause stunting and deformities due to their small size. They also do not provide filtration.

Fish keeping is an amazing and rewarding hobby and I'm glad you care enough about your new pets to look into their needs. By doing so you are saving them from a lifetime of suffering. They require a bit more than the guy at the store said, but it isn't that hard and there are plenty of people on the forum to answer any questions you have! If you decide it's not for you there are many places you can re-home the fish.

New Threads