Blood Parrot Cichlid Laying At Bottom Of Tank Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gordonhtfu, Mar 26, 2019.

1. gordonhtfu

gordonhtfuNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    I notice both my blood parrot cichlids are laying at the bottom of tank. Are they sick? Is this normal? IMG_9765.JPGIMG_9764.JPG

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,565
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What are your water parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    gordonhtfu

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
  4. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,565
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Those are your params today? How long have you had those fish in that tank?

5. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +444
    Experience:
    4 years
    O nitrates? How long has the tank been set up?

6. OP
    OP
    gordonhtfu

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yes, those are the parameters today. I had the finish for a year and a half now. They started acting slowly last week. Today they start to lay on the rocks so I am worried.

Ya, 0 nitrate. The last time I had a tank issue related due to holes on head disease was about 6 months ago and I had to do a 90% water change to recover from it.

It’s been 6 months like this and my aquarium typically is at 0.25ppm and I do water change of 25% every two weeks. It is a 120 gallon tank for two blood parrot cichlids.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2019
  7. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,565
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Those parameters don't look right for a tank that has been set up for a year and a half. What test kit did you use to test the water? When did you do a water change last?

8. OP
    OP
    gordonhtfu

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    API master water kit (the one that is most popular on Amazon). I did 20% water change today.

9. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,321
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Did you shake the heck out of the nitrate solution. Both the bottle it comes in and when mixed need some abrasive shaking.

10. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,565
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Did you shake the nitrate solution bottle #2 vigorously for 30 seconds before adding the drops to the test tube? You should have some nitrates in a cycled tank.

11. OP
    OP
    gordonhtfu

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    I confirmed that nitrate is 0. I shake the bottle and mixed solution for a minute each.

I also found that pH is at 6.0 or less. Ammonia at 0.5 and nitrite is at 0.5

I am planning to add some baking soda to increase the pH

12. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,565
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Don't add baking soda. Get some crushed coral and add it to your substrate-about 1 pound of crushed coral for every 10 gallons of water. It will slowly raise your pH and help stabilize it. Baking soda changes your pH too fast and is only a temporary fix. You will kill your fish screwing around with your pH that way if you don't know exactly how much to use and how often to add it to the water.
    I believe your tank isn't fully cycled. Have you done any kind of vigorous cleaning of your filters or gravel, or scrubbed/changed filters or filter media lately? Do you treat water with a dechlorinator that you add when doing water changes? I believe your fish are suffering from ammonia/nitrite poisoning. You should have 0-ammonia, 0-nitrites and some nitrates (less than 40) in a cycled, well maintained tank. So I would also suggest that you get some Seachem Prime and treat your tank with it to bind the ammonia and nitrites so they aren't hurting your fish until your tank cycles. It's kind of strange that you've had those fish in that tank for over a year and are still measuring ammonia and nitrites in your tank.

13. OP
    OP
    gordonhtfu

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks for the proposed diagnostic. I will get some crushed coral to stabilize pH.

I also believe my tank isn't fully cycled. I have always gotten about 0.25 ppm Ammonia and 0 nitrite and nitrate consistently. It's so consistent that I don't measure the water that often anymore. I do the gravel vaccuum and my water change every two weeks. I put Seachem Prime and Stability after each water change. I haven't changed my Fluval cannister filter for a few months now.

14. Joe L.

Joe L.Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    5 years
    Have you checked to see if your heater is working properly? Being that they are warm water fish, if the water is too cold, they can possibly become very inactive and lazy and kinda shut down a bit.

15. DanInJakarta

DanInJakartaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +78
    In answer to your question: no, it is not normal for them to sit on the bottom, unless they are sleeping.
    To answer the first question, no it is not normal for them to lay on the bottom.

pH affects nitrification. From Researchgate, "Nitrification becomes inhibited at a pH below 6.5 and stops at a pH of 6.0."

You're original post claimed a pH of 7, now 6.0 or less. Any increase in dissolved CO2 in the water should lower the pH. The outgassing of CO2, causes pH to rise. So, if one lets a liter of water to stand overnight and measure the pH, it should rise.

If you went from a pH of 7 to 6 in a very short period of time, I would suspect pH shock for the fish. A difference of 1 in pH is a 1000x difference in acidity.

As the pH of your water seemed to change quickly, I suspect the calcium hardness (KH-alkilinity) is low.

Bicarbonate is fine, but there are consequences to using it because is sodium bicarbonate, not calcium carbonate, and the danger of pH shock by applying too much. A .2 change per day is a recommended maximum. Another alternative is to add more aeration to newly changed water. This will increase out-gassing of dissolved CO2 as well as having plants. The out-gassing occurs over the first 48 hours, so if this were the problem, then you should see a natural rise in pH.

Crushed coral is a good stabilizer because it a calcium carbonate so it will not only raise pH but also increase calcium hardness so that the water can resist pH changes.

16. OP
    OP
    gordonhtfu

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks for suggestion. The heater is working fine. It is at 80F

I got some crushed coral. How much should I add for 6.0pH for a 120Gallon Tank?

17. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,565
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    12 pounds rinse it well then scoop.it in tank.

Become a Fishlore Member