Blood Parrot Cichlid Keeping

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by dartzy, Aug 3, 2017.

1. dartzy

dartzy Valued Member Member

I really like this fish and I hope to have one or a pair one day. I was wondering about what size tank is recommended and can they be kept with other fish, etc. I've looked online for info about them but I'm not having much luck. As they are cichlids, I'm sure they can be aggressive. Also have read that they require a social type of foods because of their mouths being so small. Anyone have any to pipe in about? e0355af733d9f3bc504732af21d62696.jpg

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I myself just recently got my own parrot (or should I say for my sister's tank). I know they get large and at the moment mine is in a heavily planted 36gal with a young fire mouth and a group of corydoras. The smaller firemouth is intimidated by the parrot but the parrot doesn't really go after the other fish. I doubt it can do much harm though because of its mouth shape.

As for food, I quickly learned that pellets don't go to well. They can eat them, but it's hard for them to get to them. Flakes and frozen brine shrimp are what it eats now. The flakes need to be put directly into the filter flow to push them under water, it's far easier for the parrot to slurp up the flakes. He only misses every now and them.

A strong flow doesn't seem to be appreciated either, IMO the filter flow on my sister's tank is too strong (filter is rated for a 75gal). The parrot sits at the surface behind the filter box or in the opposite corner when the lights are off, but that might just be how he "sleeps".

They are pretty interactive critters and I think they like to be in groups (not sure).

3. f

fishboy345 New Member Member

no experience keeping these, but would also love to have one or two one day! I have read a 75 gallons for a pair, as they can get up to ten inches, and have read they can be kept with rainbow fish, larger tetras, and danios, as long as they don't fit into the BPs mouth and the fish aren't fin nippers! not sure about the foods though. best of luck!

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I have one and it's housed with a JD and Severum. The BP vs JD goes at it once in a while which kind of looks like kissing in a way...but aside from that it's been peaceful between the two. The BP vs. Severum...Severum chases the BP around but not every hour every min, it seems like they play a lot...that's my thinking. But when it's BP vs. JD some times the Severum gets in between them to break it up...I think I have odd fish.

Anyways, back to the BP. I feed him sinking pellets and it seems to eat them very well, I also feed them flakes and it does struggle a little bit with it because some of the flakes are a little big so you have to crush it a little bit.

5. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Blood Parrots are a toss of a coin , you may get one that's aggressive just like you may get one that's fairly passive. I currently have one that's extremely aggressive who cant have any other fish of his size in the tank or it's a non stop chasing , ramming, stressing ect..

For a single Blood Parrot a 55g is needed, for a pair of BP a 75g is needed.

They can live with other tank mates depending on BP personality, My BP is fine with dithers and bottom dwellers won't bother them but like I've said he doesn't like anything his size or bigger.

I feed mine a varied diet , I feed him Omega One sinking super color pellets (soaked in awuarium water for a few mins before feeding) , I also feed Omega One Shrimp Pellets (soaked as well) , Omega One Super Color Flakes, once a week boiled de shelled peas , once a week frozen bloodworms and or Brine shrimp. I also make a home made food thats made up if Brocoli, carrots , zucchini , spinach , squash, green beans , scallops , shrimp , little bit of orange , little bit of garlic and little bit of paprika (I feed this to all my large cichlids)

They are great fish, they have personalities, they like to "decorate" their territory , spit sand , move things ect..

6. OP
    OP
    dartzy

dartzy Valued Member Member

Thanks everyone! Love to hear success stories with these funny looking fish. Not sure when I'll be able to setup such a big tank but who knows. Never say Never!

7. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

The only thing I will add is I would not suggest getting 2 parrots. I'd do 1 in a 55 or 3 in a 75. Keeping 2 parrots together will many times result in one bullying the other and many times killing it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice