Blood Parrot Cichlid aggression - now depressed?

fishtown

We have a 40 gallon and a 55 gallon tank. When they were little, all of our fish were in the 40 but a month ago we moved a pair of Oscars into the 55 gal, and left our pair of cichlids (an orange one and a pink one, one being a blood parrot and the other being some kind of hybrid parrot) in the smaller tank. Since the Oscars left, the two parrot fish have been fighting not stop, knocking all kinds of stuff down in the tank, digging holes, etc. The battling has become pretty violent. The orange one is now half the size because it's being bullied out out of the food. We have 2 cory and 2 pleco in there and were worried about them being caught in the crossfire. I keep seeing conflicting reports online that these fish do well in pairs, but will also fight to the death, but also may work it out, but may die. So we separated them 2 days ago and moved the biggest one into the Oscar tank - the oscars are pretty chill and didn't care. However, each parrot is now hiding in each tank, and won't even come out for food beyond the door to the cave. They spend all day hiding. Not sure if we should put them back together, or if it's better for them to stay apart given the fighting.

Debbie1986

A co -worker has a cichlid that has killed all of it's tank mates. He started with 6, last 1 died this year due to that same killer fish.

Stress and changing tanks around will create such aggression. I don't have that breed of fish but have seen it in bettas and skirt tetras.

I think if you care about the orange fish in terms of longevity, definitely separate. It's a dice roll if the behavior will stop or not.

Totally different animal, but my pet bird got stressed and self plucked. he never stopped. For him, it was OCD. Stress in social animals in nature suit themselves out - they either die or change territories. Because we have fake environments with limited retreat in side a tank, plus inability to tell the fish ' hey you're okay' , the only option is isolate the aggressor or let nature take care of it.

I think we ignore the sexual maturity (drive/hormones) because the behavior is limited to the tank and not in our face like humping dogs. Fish tanks are a practice of Darwinism at times. Jack the Ripper my white skirt tetra was an exercise in viewing such reactions. 3 confirmed kills, 1 or 2 more suspected.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. There is imo no wrong answer to this specifically, just what you think is best course of action.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Redroofinn
  • Question
Replies
Views
fallfever
Replies
Views
Bryangar