Bloating, Lost Colour, Died Quickly Overnight

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Kesh88, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Kesh88

Kesh88 Valued Member Member

I lost my little plakat very quickly overnight. Yesterday afternoon as I was doing a water change I noticed he was looking bloated and laying on the bottom of the tank. The day before he was perfectly happy and active. Within an hour he was losing colour. I put him in a smaller bare tank with some aquarium salt, if anything just to make him comfortable whilst I worked out by next step. It was getting late so I left him overnight but this morning found him grey, stiff and covered in a white fuzzy looking film that wasn't there yesterday :-( I didn't take any photos.

Now my 2 other bettas that share a divided tank are looking a little bloated. I don't think I overfeed them but then again I've been a bit migrainey the last few days and may have been carelessly giving them more pellets than usual. I'm terrified I will lose them as well to whatever killed my plakat. Any thoughts on what this could be?

I would give water parameters but I must admit I've been slack with this recently after keeping betta for almost 5 years and dealing with chronic headaches for the last 2, these days I only test my water when I notice something wrong. I can test the water from the deceased fishes tank when I get home from work in 10 hours. Aside from this my tanks are 38 litres, I change 50-75% of the water once a week using a vacuum and Seachem Prime, I keep the tanks at 27°C and feed my bettas pellets twice a day.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Aww, I am sorry for your loss!
    Probably bloated due to the overfeeding, I would feed them a mashed, deshelled pea, and see if that helps anything.

3. OP
    OP
    Kesh88

I'm hoping it is overfeeding and not whatever killed my plakat

4. Fanatic

I hope not, but I am unsure of what may have killed him so quickly, it's very odd.
    Sometimes it goes that way, but other cases it takes longer.

5. OP
    OP
    Kesh88

I think now I'll get rid of my divider and just keep two tanks for bettas. Should I tear down and disinfect everything in the tank that my plakat got sick in? There's some gravel, seriyu stone and live plants in there, as well as two sponge filters and a heater.

6. Fanatic

I would just give everything a good cleaning.
    Hot water and vinegar over the stone will clean it well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice