Bloated? Thinking caps needed!

Mel254

Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
If I were you, I would just put the "backup filter unit that is for a 50-70" on this tank, transfer ALL the media over to the bigger filter and just run that in the tank. If it has an adjustable flow rate, crank it down to low, and keep -the smaller filter as your back up. With a goldfish, you can't over filter- but at the same time, you don't want to blast him around the tank with too much flow!
The new larger filter takes larger pads though I think

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mel254 said:
Ok and the prime everyday with the water changes won’t be a problem right?
I’m at about 3 caps now over days
I know you can do 5 x more so I’m still ok
Not a problem at all. Just add the recommended dose. I see no need to add anymore than a normal dose. If you will change out at least 75% of the water, clean your filters and siphon up any build-up in your substrate, daily water changes may not be necessary. Do the 75% and run the test. If they are still high do another one. Getting them down quickly shouldn't stress your fish.

Mel254

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Not a problem at all. Just add the recommended dose. I see no need to add anymore than a normal dose. If you will change out at least 75% of the water, clean your filters and siphon up any build-up in your substrate, daily water changes may not be necessary. Do the 75% and run the test. If they are still high do another one. Getting them down quickly shouldn't stress your fish.
Ok good bc the last 50 percent one he hid out so was concerned he was stressed and also read that too quick a change could shock him but my main concern is getting them down ASAP

prasunchoudhari said:
another fast way for removing the high nitrates is introducing money plants (indian name) roots in the water and letting the plant grow on top of the tank. it pulls out a lot of nitrates from the water (consider adding at least 4 to 5 of them for the size of the tank you mensioned)
What is the best place to buy them online?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mel254 said:
Ok good bc the last 50 percent one he hid out so was concerned he was stressed and also read that too quick a change could shock him but my main concern is getting them down ASAP
As long as you are temp matching and using Prime the water changes may scare him a bit but getting his water safe for him the most important thing you can do for him. If you will do bigger water changes you won't have to do them as often. As long as the PH is the same in both source and tank water you aren't going to shock him.

Plants are good and can help in the future but they work too slow to be any meaningful help at this point.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mel254 said:
There should be room in the overflow chamber to cram the smaller cartridge in with the new one for a month or so, if not you can carefully cut all the floss or mesh off the old cartridge, put any carbon it contains in a mesh media bag (the toe part of panty hose and a rubber band works) and stick those in the overflow chamber with the new cartridge.

prasunchoudhari

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mel254 said:
it is ok with the tank size you mensioned

can check out videos on the same topic on youtube
please note this will help a lot to reduce nitrates in the tank and will not take much time to settle also

Mel254

Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
There should be room in the overflow chamber to cram the smaller cartridge in with the new one for a month or so, if not you can carefully cut all the floss or mesh off the old cartridge, put any carbon it contains in a mesh media bag (the toe part of panty hose and a rubber band works) and stick those in the overflow chamber with the new cartridge.
Ok I added some carbon to one of the existing pads in there a couple days ago
How long does it stay activated? The top of that particular pad is always coming loose from the top clamp so it ls “loose”
That’s the first pad I’ll replace when it’s time
Follow up question on the prime- will half teaspoon be enough for the replacement water I’m adding with these big water changes though? My measurements (ml per new water) suggests a cap per change

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mel254 said:
Follow up question on the prime- will half teaspoon be enough for the replacement water I’m adding with these big water changes though? My measurements (ml per new water) suggests a cap per change
If you're using Prime, I think it only comes in one concentration. These are the instructions for water changes and to detoxify NitrITES not nitrates:
1575914294190201487375142612459.jpg

That converts to 1 ml (1/5 teaspoon) per 10 gallons for a regular water change.

Is this the type media bag you have on your current filter (fits over a frame)? If so just remove the whole thing from the frame, dump the carbon out (you don't need it) aand put this against the new, bigger media cartridge.
15759151975429107877308220013161.jpg

Attachments

Mel254

Reaction score
Ok
Momgoose56 said:
If you're using Prime, I think it only comes in one concentration. These are the instructions for water changes and to detoxify NitrITES not nitrates:
1575914294190201487375142612459.jpg

That converts to 1 ml (1/5 teaspoon) per 10 gallons for a regular water change.
did a 50% at 115 and still at 40 two hours later
Will do another 50 % tmro
Where do I buy the money plant suggested in this thread btw?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mel254 said:
Ok

did a 50% at 115 and still at 40 two hours later
Will do another 50 % tmro
Where do I buy the money plant suggested in this thread btw?
The Money plant (Epipremnum aureum)
also called Pothos or Devils Ivy is pretty
common. You can find it at almost any garden shop, Lowes, Home Depot etc. It won't survive under water. You put the stem/roots in the water and keep the body and leaves sticking out.

Mel254

Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
common. You can find it at almost any garden shop, Lowes, Home Depot etc. It won't survive under water. You put the stem/roots in the water and keep the body and leaves sticking out.
Ok thank you
So they’re floaters
Rinse in tank water beforehand I presume
Also, the 50 percent change today didn’t bring it down past 40 but I’m going to do a 75 tmro and bump it up

John58ford

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Momgoose56 said:
Mel254 said:
Ok thank you
So they’re floaters
Also, the 50 percent change today didn’t bring it down past 40 but I’m going to do a 75 tmro and bump it up
Not exactly a floater, more of a hanger, hang the stem over the side of the tank so the roots are the only part Submerged. I have seen people use an extra undersized hang on back full of rocks or marbles to plant them in, you can even train the stems to climb up a string tied to a hook on your ceiling if that's you kind of thing. Looks very impressive if you pull it off right.

Allot of house plants can work like this. I tried some lucky bamboo in a hang on back once and it worked, but I didn't notice it eating up enough nitrates to be worth it.

If you can get a climbing plant trained to grow up a string and over to a window you can save a bunch on lighting costs vs high tech lights on underwater plants, just throwing that out there as a side thought.

Mel254

Reaction score
Ok, very interesting and I quite like the look of hanging plants in an aquarium so I'll try it. Are there any plants that are toxic to fish, as there are in say, the case of dogs or cats?
BTW, fish is much happier, even tho we are still at 40.. the water has gone from very hard to soft too on the reading(test strip).
Even came up to take a piece of food out of my hand
Tmro another 50

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mel254 said:
Ok thank you
So they’re floaters
Yes, they are land plants, they are sold in pots o dirt. 75% is a good idea.

Mel254 said:
Ok, very interesting and I quite like the look of hanging plants in an aquarium so I'll try it. Are there any plants that are toxic to fish, as there are in say, the case of dogs or cats?
BTW, fish is much happier, even tho we are still at 40.. the water has gone from very hard to soft too on the reading(test strip).
Even came up to take a piece of food out of my hand
Tmro another 50
Pothos is toxic to dogs, cats and children if they eat it.

prasunchoudhari

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mel254 said:
Ok thank you
So they’re floaters
i prefer washing the plant stem and roots (parts to be submerger) with potassium permanganate (K2Cr2O7) for 2 to 3 minutes to kill all the harmful bacteria and parasite present on it

Mel254

Reaction score
prasunchoudhari said:
i prefer washing the plant stem and roots (parts to be submerger) with potassium permanganate (K2Cr2O7) for 2 to 3 minutes to kill all the harmful bacteria and parasite present on it
DCDABDCE-84FF-426B-8C2B-2A60E30E5F46.jpeg

Thoughts on where this is at? It has gone from red to more orange on the api liquid tests
And lighter pink on the tetra strips
(Pic one and two on the tetra strips were taken 2 min apart but the second looks a tad darker to me)
About to do another 50

Want your thoughts on the current readings
His activity level is much better although not his 100% moving all the time per usual

Momgoose56 said:
Pothos is toxic to dogs, cats and children if they eat it.
Just posted current readings
Looking for your thoughts before I do another 50

Well just did a 50 and a vacuum and changed out the impeller in existing filter although existing impeller was not clogged upon cleaning
This is anxiety producing yikes
Ok I think that last change might have done it
Did it a half hour ago and just took tetra reading
Would it go down that quickly? Either way it’s my first 20 so I’m cautiously optimistic

Attachments

prasunchoudhari

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mel254 said:
Ok I think that last change might have done it
Did it a half hour ago and just took tetra reading
Would it go down that quickly? Either way it’s my first 20 so I’m cautiously optimistic
20 is still ok but i suggest that you keep the nitrates less than 10 as it is a good number for the fishes (do regular water cahnges)

Mel254

Reaction score
Yes
I have a secondary question about my filter situation
I switched out the impeller yesterday on the old filter with a new one that I had on a new backup filter
The flow is much less which is strange to me since it’s a new impeller

So today I put that backup filter that has the OLD impeller on it into the tank and it is a heavy flow As it always was

This is curious to me. Why would the new impeller have such a lower flow?
Also, is this too much filtration for my tank?
He’s one comet in a 40 gallon

I’m considering running both
(both filters for a 20-40 gallon)

And the old filter media is still in the old filter
But the new one obv has new media, (which has carbon in it which I don’t prefer bc I have plants)
But if I leave it in there and run both will this do anything to my cycle or no because the original filter media is still in the old filter?

Video one is the old filter with the NEW impeller I switched out (low flow)
Video two is the new filter with the OLD impeller (high flow)

I also have a filter for a ten gall. on there too that I added four days ago. I don’t think it’s doing much if anything although it is humming
I don’t want to remove anything and crash cycle at a time I’m trying to stabilize the cycle
But I don’t think the 10 gallon filter is seeded yet nor the one I added today obviously so maybe that isn’t an issue?

Ah, it won’t let me upload the videos :/

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking much better :) I would put the original impeller back in the filter you took it out of and run both filters. The bacteria doesn't care which filter it is in. As long as the original filter media is still in one of the filters your cycle shouldn't be affected. If you just want to run the one more powerful filter just move all the seeded media over to it. There will be some bacteria on the walls of the original filter though so it might be best to run both of them for at least a month to help seed the walls of the new filter. After that you can remove the smaller one if you don't want to run both.

Now that you have the nitrates down to these levels keep doing the big water changes weekly and this shouldn't happen again. Let your tests tell you how much water you need to change each week to keep the nitrates down to safer levels.

Mel254

Reaction score
Ok thank you. Any idea Why would the new impeller be less strong? It’s the same exact filter (brand, capacity 20-40, same parts etc)
I’m stumped as to that unless it takes a while for it to “loosen up “ and allow max flow

This is ok level of filtration though? Not too much for my one Goldie?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom