Bloated Pleco Please Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by The fish guy11122, Apr 10, 2017.

1. The fish guy11122

The fish guy11122Valued MemberMember

So a week ago one of my heaters broke in my tank and because this tank is located in my garage the tank quickly cooled. Luckily there was only the pleco in the tank at the time. The tank temperature went down to 3c and i was amazed the pleco was still alive!! I quickly moved him indoors and sat him in a bucket in the house for about a day to let him slowly warm up after a day had passed i acclimated him to one of my tanks. He seemed fine for a day but then his eyes went swollen and stuck out of his head!! I was pretty alarmed by this but it only lasted a day an then went back to normal. Then he was fine for a few days but now he is extremely swollen. It is hard to see by the photos but it is bad. What should I do??[​IMG][​IMG]

2. MD_Plants

MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

Fish with no scales are a lot more likely to get diseases and can react easily to change in environment then scaled fish. did you use plain tap water? did you put in any medication? Is there a filter with activated carbon in the tank? activated carbon will remove any thing that is bad to the pleco.

3. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

Yes the tank has aqua safe added to the water and there is carbon in the filter. I have not yet used any medication

4. MD_Plants

Ok, I would wait a few days then do a 20 percent water change. Then do 20 percent every week until he's healed. That's all you really can do

Also, scrap some algae off the glass or he will get obese

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  5. Muhiddin

MuhiddinValued MemberMember

I produce long-lasting dwarf shrinkage in Turkey. The problem with constipation is that the swelling of your fish is caused by the ingestion of too much food that is not over-fed.

Give them vegetable dishes. You need to avoid protein-dense baits.

Carrot Carrot Peas Curly Red Sweet Pepper Lettuce Curly

The fish is constipated.

I made a lot of l144 lda16 and albino black gold lofing tulle tail.

Please give the fish vegetables.

6. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

I actually haven't seen him eat since the incident and non of the algae has been eaten of the glass as you can see there is alot of it

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would do larger water changes. 20% weekly is a minimum for healthy fish. On a fish that's not doing well, larger and/or more frequent changes are helpful.

I'd feed him some blanched, deshelled peas first, to see if that helps.

8. Muhiddin

Instead of water evaporation, only water is added. No water changes.

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Not a good idea. Water changes remove waste and replenish minerals in the tank. Simply topping off isn't good enough.

10. Muhiddin

Water loves muddy sludge water. Only water should be added instead of evaporated water. Also, if there are too many fish filth, the lower part should be withdrawn.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  11. MD_Plants

Not a good idea to just top off the tank. I like to think of minerals and waste like salt in an ocean. When the water evaporates from the ocean it leaves the salt behind. When the water in an aquarium evaporates it leaves the waste behind. When I was beginning I only ever topped of the water and I got the tank infested with micro creatures that took over 2 years to get rid of. And if you are referring to using R/O water instead of tap you are correct.

12. Muhiddin

Vegetables must be given

The simplest cucumber

13. MD_Plants

Please stop replying with videos

14. Muhiddin

I apologize, because I do not speak much English.

I'm responding with Google translation.

Sometimes the translation is bad, so I wanted to send a video.

15. MD_Plants

It's fine I just don't speak your language. You get most of the words right thought the phrasing is off a bit though

16. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

Do you think it could be dropsy?

17. Muhiddin

My only goal is to help. I shared the answer to the question with my friends.

18. MD_Plants

It might be but I never heard of dropsy suddenly appearing like you said in initial post. My guess it just a reaction from the heater not working and changing and etc

19. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

Also I can really tell if the scales are sticking up as plecos don't really have many scales so it is hard to tell

20. MD_Plants

Since plecos don't have scales and have more of a protective layer, when they stick out that is usually a symptom with combination of bloating. Can I ask what size he is. I think he might have dropsy even though I said it probably wasn't. I have never seen it come up in 1 day. Have you noticed him laying on his side in the tank at all. Clean water is the immediate concern and high quality food. Make sure there is not ammonia or nitrite in your water, nitrates are under 10 (better if it is even lower) and that you are doing water changes of 50-75% minimum a week. In this case I would do much more water changes. It is essential that the water be pristine if you are going to fight this disease.

21. OP
    OP
    The fish guy11122

Unfortunately he passed away

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice