Bloated Peppered Cory Help 

Kyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi everyone,

I came home yesterday to find one of my cories floating on his side at the surface. He didn't look bloated before then but i could clearly see he was now, even just from the light of my P.C screen and over the past few days no strange behaviour or anything of the like. The tank was treated 5 days ago with Jungle Parasite Clear tablets, because the other cory hadnt eaten in nearly a week, and was looking listless, but still swimming so i thought it might be some sort of parasite (this cory now seems to be getting better, eating again, looking happier and not as skinny as before) so i used a half dose and did it in the tank vs quarantine in case anyone else had picked something up.

so I thought he was a goner, did a careful 50% water change then and there (at like 1am with all the lights off so as not to shock anyone in the tank) because it was all i could think to do. This morning i did not find a dead fish, but him sitting on the bottom. Still bloated underneath and not looking too happy about things. so i did another 25% water change.

he has several times since then alternated between lying on the surface, and swimming around normally on the bottom???

since the other one started eating i have fed more than i normally do, and they had been without food for a few days prior, so maybe he ate too much and is suffering with constipation? as to dropsy, how would i tell seeing as though he doesnt have normal scales, but the plates (he only seems to be bloated directly beneath himself).

any ideas on what i can do to help? if he is constipated, ive read about giving peas, could i try that/how would i get him to eat it?

other info that i know people will want:
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:between 0-10 (i use Sera liquid kits and its somewhere between the two colours right now)
Temp 24 celsius/75 farenheit
pH:7.4

thanks to everyone in advance of any replies

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry your little guy is not feeling to good.

Most corys will eat peas at anytime. Use frozen peas and thaw one and take out the inside and cut it into little bites (about the size of his eye) and drop it in as near him as you can get it, and see if he will eat at least a bite. There is also stuff you can get at the pet store that will help. Right now I can't think of the name of it, maybe some one will post the name.

Hope he feels better soon. Let us know how he is doing.

Kyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Ayelie,

Fed peas last night to the whole tank, and today he seems less bloated and a bit more happy so ill continue to monitor but it seems to have done the trick!

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great I am glad. Keep me updated. Hope he keeps feeling better.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads