Bloated Oto

1. Hunterhusker

Hunterhusker Valued Member Member

I got an otocinculs (sorry for butchering that my skills are computers not spelling) anyway I knew from past experience they die a lot when u first get them. Anyway he is bloated af and swimming upsidedown right now. I googled it saw it may a bacterial infection so I am pounding down melafix and pimafix. I'll change his bowl tomorrow. (Quarantine is a 2.5 gallon hexagon my mom kept goldfish in when I was 4). I hope you all can help.

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

How long have you had this fish?

Is the bowl it's being kept in filtered?

What are you feeding it? Have you tried feeding fresh vegetables?

If it is a wild caught otto, it may be parasites. Have you observed white, stringy poop?

Is it possible the otto is female, and carrying eggs?

Neither melafix or pimafix is an antibiotic. If the issue is a bacterial infection "pounding down" these products won't really be helpful.

3. OP
    OP
    Hunterhusker

Well, it doesnt matter now he passed today. I am quite sure melafix is anti bacterial. But it doesn't matter now. The nearest LFS is an hour drive and I was at petsmart and thought eh what could go wrong I'll try this lil guy cuz he looked healthy, no sunken in belly. Well his belly just got fatter and then he couldn't swim and he died. I might go the the lfs they quarentine fish there before its on the shelf and they always have nice Otos, its just too far of a drive to go often.

4. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Melafix is tea tree oil in solution. Pimafix is Bay tree extract. While both can be useful in encouraging healing of external injuries, they really should not be the go to for acute internal infections.

I'm sorry you lost your fish.

5. OP
    OP
    Hunterhusker

Its ok I have never had luck with those cute lil guys. Next time I try to get one im buying from the lfs. I'll just do like 90 home so I can get him in asap.