Bloated Or Egg Bound Betta? Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by CanadianFishFan, Jun 23, 2018.

1. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

So also my other female betta now is haveing some issues. Dahlia has a weird bump on her sides . She looks maybe egg bound? Or is she bloated? Its bigger on the one side and the scales are slightly raised on the one side ONLY were its bigger. Or worse... has something in her body failed and caused a fluid build up...? I dont want to lose her and she still ate this morning. It is night now and I hope she survives the night.
    upload_2018-6-23_22-21-28.pngupload_2018-6-23_22-21-33.png

2. WhatsUpGuys

WhatsUpGuysValued MemberMember

Don’t feed her for a few days, see if that reduces the bloating

3. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

PLEASE SOME ONE HELP. Its gotten much worse and maybe a fluid buildup. My parents think its abuse, but she eats and swims fine. I will try to get photos if they dont force me. I dont have clove oil and freezeing a fish makes me sick. Someone please help.... and soon. Thank you.

4. emmysjj

emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

5. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Thats what I was maybe thinking... will aquarium salt work? cant remember how much for how long :/.

6. emmysjj

I think it’s 15 minutes 1-3 times a day.
    I don’t know, I think Epsom salt helps bloating so that might be best.

Tagging @Gypsy13 for salt.

7. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Aquarium salt doesn't help with bloating and will make it worse instead. You need epsom salt. 1 tablespoon per gallon for 10-15 minutes. Raised scales is always a sign of dropsy, you'll need to treat with Kanaplex.

8. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Its only on onse side. No scales are raised. I will find our epsom salt. Thank you, how many days? Till it goes down?

9. HelloThere

HelloThereValued MemberMember

Meow, hello there
    Just here to say that i hope dahlia will be alright >~<

10. emmysjj

Yes, until it goes away.

11. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Hey. Epsom salt is the first step. Start with a bath of 1/2 tablespoon per gallon. If your bb tolerates that ok, next bath do 1 tablespoonful per gallon.
    While you’re waiting for the baths to help, keep up your. Water changes in the main tank. Keep this little one closer to the surface to keep water pressure off the organs. And if you don’t have epsom salt right this moment, you can give aquarium salt baths. 1/4 teaspoon dissolved salt in a gallon of dechlorinated water. That amount won’t increase the fluid in the fish but will help the fish’s tissues to find a short term balance. The plain epsom salt is imperative. If you want to start the antibiotics as someone else suggested, use tetracyclines, maracyn 2, or kanaplex/furan 2. Personally I’d want some of the swelling to go down first. Keep posting updates.

12. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Thanks a lot. I will start tomorrow, i do have epsom salt.

13. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

Good luck!

14. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Thank you sounds like a not so fun week... Betta with fin rot, dahlia and this and Mr Gourami sick.

15. emmysjj

Update please?

16. AnyaJ

AnyaJValued MemberMember

When my betta was bloated, I did 1 tsp of unscented epsom salt to 1 gallon of tank water salt baths. I see that people are recommending adding the salt straight to the aquarium, but I had a lot of success with doing this in a separate bucket. I'd make the mixture in a mixing bowl, scoop my betta in a net, and keep him submerged in the bowl for 2 minutes before returning him to his tank. I did it 3x a day for two weeks (as goldiemom recommended) and managed to beat dropsy (I was also using Maracyn-2 medication). It's a great sign that she's still eating! I think it makes all the difference as my betta had a huge appetite throughout the entire treatment so stay hopeful!

17. Cherie G

Cherie GValued MemberMember

I wish I had some info or advice for you, I'm new at this so I'll let the experienced people handle that, I just feel bad that you are having a rough time of it and hope your betta gets better really soon!! Keep us posted !

18. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Sorry I was talking to guys at night so couldnt start. Plus it was already late and I was doing Splash water change for fin rot and Mr gouramis salt bath. Plus now im shopping today but buying a new betta. Treatment starts tonight and I will add photos.

19. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Ok first Salt bath, here is a photo. Im putting her into a 1 gallon with things close to the surface. She lives beside Iris and those girls do like to flare. Plus I swear iris may be getting it!!! She looks a little more thick... So im not risking it. Dont worry I will be keeping up with water changes.
    @Gypsy13 Im following you step by step, If this works be ready for a paragraph of me saying thank you. I trust you and others say your the Queen of salt.
    x7WHExsd-7H6_WMa7KJMLxHWpGiG2SG4ACo1TfPVGm15PHp-S351YaNGBtjNdtMfPBrnL6ddinXdPG5KzYA=w353-h627-no.jpg

20. emmysjj

Good luck! Keep us posted!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice