Bloated Male Mollies

Colomark

Reaction score
Hi. We just got a bristlenose pleco and as others have indicated in their posts, it doesn't know algae wafers are food yet. I'm not so worried about it, but two of the male mollies have absolutely gorged themselves. In 30ish hours theyve had their regular food and two algae wafers. The males now look super bloated. They seem happy (they have always been two of the more active fish) but holy cow the one looks like it could pop. Since there are no odd behaviors do I worry?

Nuchi

Reaction score
I am pretty sure they can kill themselves from over eating. I would probably not feed them for a day or two at least and reduce amount of normal feeding slightly until they are in shape. If they are acting happy they probably will be fine as long as you stop well there still happy, stomach problems I think manifest quick at least the ones you need to worry about. I would also take others recommendations that are more experienced that actually keep mollies.

Maybe try some ZucinI later for the Pleco they seem to love them along with other vedge but I suspect it might be less sought after by the Mollies giving him the time to find it. Pleco don't need much food to live so I would not worry but they thrive with a mixed diet of algae wafer, tank growth and assorted vedge(just one at a time not all at once lol) diet.

Peter M

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah as stated above I would just not feed for a few days. Fish can go several days without eating and in this case, they'll be better off.

fawadsaeed

Reaction score
dont over feed them.. mollies are always hungry if you feed hem 24 hours they will eat everything

Sheldon13

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try dropping the wafers in at night when it is dark. The pleco will forage some at night and the Mollies will never know...

OP
C

Colomark

Reaction score
Sheldon13 said:
Try dropping the wafers in at night when it is dark. The pleco will forage some at night and the Mollies will never know...
Tried that. Pretty much bonked the pleco on the head with the wafer. Had lights out. It took the mollies a whole minute to find it and then they went to town.

My tank also has not overfed platties....just let them skip a meal or two also?

Nuchi

Reaction score
I don't have experience with platties but if you are feeding daily they should be more then fine to do the same, fish don't always find a meal every day in the wild for varying reasons. So I so no reason why they would not be absolutely fine. They might start enthusiastically watching you expecting there food but who wouldn't when treated well and having to wait for maybe the first time lol.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom