Bloated Guppy with non-moving pectoral fin.

rollinghills

This just started happening today. I noticed the guppy has a pretty round belly today and was not eating. Thought it might be constipated. About an hour ago I was checking up on it and saw this pimple pus like thing came out of left side of the fish. There's a small red spot where the pus came out of. It's next to the pectoral fin. The pectoral fin is not moving it just sticks out. The other fin is still moving. What could it be? Thanks.

maestroDAWG

It sounds like you might be describing dropsy. It's quite common in guppies, almost all of my guppy fatalities have been due to dropsy. Wikipedia has a pretty good description of the symptoms.

It's pretty tough to treat, your best guess is to simply quarantine it and hope for the best.

rollinghills

I thought it might be dropsy but I couldn't find any info on the sore/pus and the pectoral fin issue. Did you see that on your fish?

I know the link says it may or maybe not be contagious but what's your experience on that?

maestroDAWG

I didn't see the pus which does sound slightly unusual but the exact same thing happened with the stiffening of the fins. Held at an awkward angle & the fish wasn't swimming very smoothly. Also, my guppy's scales puffed out. And as the for the contagious factor, I'm not really sure. My original dropsy episode happened while there were only two fish in the tank. This was only about a month after buying them, but soon the male guppy showed the classic signs of dropsy. He died, and about 3 days later the female became duller and then died too. I don't know if they were both infected prior, or if the male did indeed infect the female.

rollinghills

It's gone :-\ I'm uploading a picture. The sore is right below the pectoral fin. I hope someone can tell me if this can be fish TB. I'm going nuts worrying about it. What do you think about the pus that's still in the tank? I've no idea where it went but wondering if that's contagious to other fish?

Attachments

• sore.jpg
    sore.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 2,317

maestroDAWG

Again, I don't have any experience with the pus. If it's fish TB you shouldn't be worried as long as he is in a quarantine tank; the only known way of transmitting fish TB is through healthy fish ingesting the flesh of an infected individual.

0morrokh

HI rollinghills,

It could be tb, which seems to be quite common in store-bought guppies. I've read that tb can cause open lesions/ulcers, though I've never seen that personally. Bloating and sudden death are definitely possible symptoms of tb. Your fish does not appear to have had dropsy, which causes extreme bloating and "pineconing" of the fish's scales.

Mycobacterium, which causes fish tb, is basically present throughout most aquatic environments. If your guppy did have tb, your other fish have probably been exposed to the bacteria, but they may or may not become infected.

Here's some links with more info on the disease:

Edit: I see that your tank is still cycling. How often are you doing water changes?

rollinghills

I do partial changes at least 4 or 5 times a week. Reading the second article it's pretty insane how widespread TB is among fish.

catsma_97504

I'm sorry your fish are concerning you.

According to your profile you still have measurable ammonia and measurable. Using TSS a month ago should have cycled your tank by now. I'd recommend daily 30-50% water changes with Seachem Prime or Kordon AmQuel as both these products protect fish from the waste build up until your tank finishes cycling.

Also, I see your 15G tank is stocked with a couple each of danios, glofish, guppies, ghost shrimp and cardinal tetras. You should rethink your stocking choices. Danios need much more space and should never be kept with guppies. Plus the fact that danios and tetras are schooling that should be kept in groups of 5-6 minimum. When schooling fish are kept in small numbers they fight and nip at the others. It may be possible that your guppy is showing an injury and not a disease.

0morrokh

Have you seen any progress in your cycle? If not you may want to re-dose with TSS. Perhaps the first batch you used was bad. Ammonia is very stressful for fish and could be the cause of the guppy's disease.

Cognity7

I don't agree with never keeping danios with guppies.

As long as the danios have a nice size school (6+) and enough room to swim they can be kept fine with guppies.

But I do agree that your tank is too small for this to happen successfully.

I keep my danios and guppies together just fine.. but i'm a very understocked and the danios have tons of room and completely ignore the guppies.

I'm sorry about your fish Rollinghills...

I would take the danios back or get a bigger tank for them. The lowest I would keep a school of danios in would be a 20 gallon long. And I would keep it at only 5-6. Your guppies would love the 15 gal for themselves!

I'm sure when your tank gets cycled finally your fish will be much happier and healthier!

catsma_97504

I don't agree with never keeping danios with guppies.

I never had luck keeping any fish with flowy fins with danios. Maybe I had particularly bad ones?!?

Cognity7

I never had luck keeping any fish with flowy fins with danios. Maybe I had particularly bad ones?!?

Maybe mine just have manners? lol

My guppies have been housed with the danios twice now. I wonder if its because I have a ton of plants and driftwood and rocks to keep the danios occupied.

rollinghills

Yes there's some progress on the cycling. Ammonia is somewhere between .25 and 0 on the result card. I actually added TSS about 2 weeks in when my ammonia level was fluctuating. My guppies (well guppy now) got along with the rest pretty well. They always played around with one of the female glofish and the last one still does. I think he needs a mate. ;D Often the rest schools together with the guppy. It's a peaceful tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
UnknownGuppyLover
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views