Bloated guppy with fin rot

trinket

For the last week or so I've noticed one of my guppies is having some issues. I've had the guppies for awhile but some of you may remember my previous threads about a mysterious illness that killed several of my fish. No one has died in about 2 months though and the other fish seem okay. I previously treated the tank with Maracyn2 and antibiotic food.

For the guppy in question, about a week and a half ago I noticed his caudal fin was split right down the middle. I was confused about this because it was a "clean" split, no redness or anything. I thought maybe he somehow caught on something in the tank and decided to keep an eye on it. It healed up in a couple days, and then another split happened. That also healed up after a few days. Then I noticed fin rot, the edges of the caudal fin are jagged and red. I decided to give it a couple days before I decide to medicate, and now I'm noticing he's getting bloated. Not hugely bloated but enough for me to notice.

Anyone know what happened? Could he have torn his fin and then caught some sort of infection from that?

I don't want to medicate the whole tank, it's about 25 gallons and I only have enough Maracyn left to treat a 10 gallon. But my 10 gallon is currently being used as a quarantine tank for new fish. I have a 2 gallon he could go in but it wouldn't be heated or filtered-can guppies go in an unfiltered tank even? I have a filter I could put on it but it's very very noisy.

The other guppy appears okay but looks a bit bloated to me too, but that might be just me imagining it because I'm worried. It has no fin rot at all and is active/eating etc. Their poops are normal as well.

lipadj46

maracyn is for gram positive bacteria so is pretty useless for fish diseases in general. I would put him in the 2 gallon with the filter and/or an airstone and do 50% water changes between doses and use prime to deal with the ammonia. As far a good anibiotics go there is kanaplex which is going to be the most effective, furan-2 is good too with less side effects. Maracyn Plus is also a good broad based antibiotic and cheaper than using maracyn 1 and 2 combined. You could also try pimafix first (maybe combine it with melafix but melafix is a much weaker medecine). Having no heater for a bacterial infection is fine as it slows the bacteria's growth rate

trinket

I did put him into the 2 gallon and managed to get a small filter on there with some established media so hopefully ammonia doesn't get out of control. The temp is still warm enough since it's summer.

I remember reading about Kanaplex and Furan-2 but unfortunately neither are sold in local stores so I'd have to buy online and way 2+ weeks for the shipping. I might buy one to keep just in case since they don't seem expensive.

I added a small amount of aquarium salt, I've read conflicting info on whether guppies do well with salt or not but almost every site I read about it still recommended it for treating fin rot.

I finished the antibiotics for the guppy but I see no improvement for his fins (the bloating seems gone). Being in the 2 gallon seemed to stress him, he'd hover in the same spot for hours.

I put him back in the main tank and I'll watch him to see if things improve at all or not.

The fin rot hasn't improved, I'm not sure what to do here. Maracyn 1 and 2 didn't cure it..not sure what will. It isn't an issue of water quality since the other fish are fine and there's 0 ammonia/nitrite.

0morrokh

Bloating plus finrot that doesn't respond to meds makes me -tentatively- suspect tuberculosis.

I've had the guppies for awhile but some of you may remember my previous threads about a mysterious illness that killed several of my fish.

Could you link me to these threads? Background info would help me but I don't want you to have to repeat everything.

Is the guppy eating? Swimming/behaving normally? Clamped fins?

trinket

Agh, that's what I was worried about. The bloating is gone now though.

He still eats a lot, is active and I don't notice any clamped fins. The other guppy is fine though.

This is the last thread I made, I think.

0morrokh

Hmm I dunno. Sounds like your fish came infected with any number of things. It could be tb, or it might not be.

I think it was a good decision to put him back in the main tank. I'd just keep a close eye on them from now on. I wouldn't bother trying to medicate again. A damaged fin should heal itself if the fish is healthy and the water is clean. If the fish does have, say, tb, then it's either gonna survive with a low level infection or just die, meds will not be effective.

Since tb seems possible: 1) don't put your hand in the tank if you have an open cut or immune deficiency, and wash them well afterward, and 2) don't let any fish die in the tank--if any fish start exhibiting the obvious tb symptoms I advise euthing them.

Keep us updated on how the fish are doing. Hopefully the fish will have settled in by now and you'll have no further losses.

trinket

I have a little hope, the red jagged spots heal to white and grow back a bit, but then a new spot pops up. I've been feeding bits of garlic (the one guppy loves it, the other kind of ignores it) so hopefully that helps.

Thanks. I'm trying not to stress. Aside from this one guppy being off no one else in the main tank has died in quite awhile. I have new fish that made it through the month long quarantine but now I'm not sure if I should put them in or not. But I used one of my filters from the main tank on the QT tank so it would be cycled for them, so I guess if there's anything for them to be exposed to, it's too late.

0morrokh

I have a little hope, the red jagged spots heal to white and grow back a bit, but then a new spot pops up.

That sounds more like "normal" finrot, i.e. a purely external infection (your guppy's behavior supports this belief). But it's always tough to be certain.

Thanks. I'm trying not to stress. Aside from this one guppy being off no one else in the main tank has died in quite awhile.

That's good. Sometimes with new fish the stress of moving kills a few of them initially, but the ones that make it past a certain amount of time do fine.

I have new fish that made it through the month long quarantine but now I'm not sure if I should put them in or not. But I used one of my filters from the main tank on the QT tank so it would be cycled for them, so I guess if there's anything for them to be exposed to, it's too late.

Yeah I would probably think the same. The fact is that most bacteria that make fish sick are always present in their environment, but they only cause disease when fish are stressed. On the other hand, there's no harm in leaving fish in quarintine in order to observe your guppies a little longer.

trinket

I decided to just add the new fish in because of the filter thing. My habrosus cories from the main tank were SO excited about the trilineatis cories, oh my it was cute.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Today there's no new red patches on the guppies fins so I'm crossing my fingers.

0morrokh

You're welcome. I love habrosus, they're so adorable.

trinket

I think they're my favorite type of cory for sure. They always try to school with the other fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Beginneraquarist123
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
AutisticFishBlog
Replies
Views