Bloated goldfish. Tried everything

wicca1971

Valued Member
Reaction score
So, I did the Epsom salt dip for my fish with no change. I left him in it for 10 minutes. I was really hoping for a miracle.
Should I do several dips? I read online somewhere to do the dips daily for 3-5 days.
If the dips don't work does anyone know what the next steps are? Should I try medication to treat for a bacterial infection? I was actually looking for a fish doctor (that's how desperate I am) but there are none in my area. I don't think she's pooped in days.
Starting to loose hope

wicca1971

Valued Member
Reaction score
Another crazy idea...
Could she be egg bound? I keep calling her a "she" but I honestly don't know if she's male or female. If she's egg bound does that kill them quickly or can it take a while? She's been behaving this way for about a month getting worse as time goes by.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It looks fine, in terms of body shape. Six years can be pretty old for fancy goldfish, and some may develop buoyancy issues as they grow older. Not much you can do about that, except accept that you may have to deal with this issue for the rest of its life. Besides that, he/she looks fine.

wicca1971

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ugh! I wish there was a fix. Sometimes she's so bad, laying upside down, I have to gently right her. Do you think the Epsom salt baths are pointless if the first one failed or should i continue to do more?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wicca1971 said:
Ugh! I wish there was a fix. Sometimes she's so bad, laying upside down, I have to gently right her. Do you think the Epsom salt baths are pointless if the first one failed or should i continue to do more?
I say continue trying, but at a certain point, if nothing works, accept it for what it is: genetic.

wicca1971

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'm coming to that realization. If it is genetic, can they live a satisfactory life and for how long? She still eats but I don't want her to be suffering.

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wicca1971 said:
Imo epsom salt baths are supposed to be done twice a day, over several days (even up to a week). I found it very rarely will work for swim bladder on the first dip. Personally i think if the problem as persisted this long I'm not very optimistic, but it's worth the try! I wouldn't treat with antibiotics though, as he doesn't appear to be infected.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Epson salt baths are for fish kinda like antibiotics are for us. It takes more than one to get the job done. We have to run the full course to get the job done. You may have to do it a couple of times a day for a few days to have any effect on her. Good luck. I know it is hard to see them like this and I know how helpless one can feel.

Try the epson salt baths a couple times a day for up to a week and see if it will help her. If it doesn't at least you will know you are giving her a fighting chance. If it is just age related the baths might not have any effect but at least you will know you did all you could do for her.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wicca1971 said:
Yeah, I think I'm coming to that realization. If it is genetic, can they live a satisfactory life and for how long? She still eats but I don't want her to be suffering.
Give it a good effort, but don't overly stress it either. I'd give it a good 2 weeks. If no improvement then, oh well, at least you tried. And once fish get swim bladder issues, it tends to stay, meaning you may be able to resolve it, but will likely comeback, so it's an on and off problem. Some people build fish wheelchairs, but you bring up a good ethical question.

wicca1971

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I had no idea I could do it twice a day. I think I'll stick to once a day because removing her from her tank, which I did for the first time in years for the dip, did stress her out a bit but then she settled .
I appreciate your input.

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If the whole course of epsom salt doesn't make a difference, and she is still eating and acting just fine otherwise, I would consider experimenting with the goldfish "wheelchairs." Maybe that's just me because I like to make things, but I think it might be fun! In her case, since she isn't floating straight up or sinking straight down but rather just doing little flips, I would imagine your focus would have to be more on balancing the harness rather than making it more or less buoyant than her. A harness with a pebble to weight the bottom and a piece of styrofoam (convenient because you can cut it back until it works) to pull up the top might work best.

wicca1971

Valued Member
Reaction score
The wheelchair looks like a great idea! but I haven't found any videos on how to actually make one and more importantly, how to fit it properly so it works.
Any suggestions?

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So, I remembered a posting I saw from Jenny of Solid Gold aquatics regarding a fish she had with swim bladder trouble (who eventually had to be euthanized) and I finally dug it up, you may find it informative.

Solid Gold: Rest in Peace Callisto

It can sometimes take a little while for a malformation to become a problem for an animal. From what I gather, the Goldfish wheelchairs idea is super bloggable and an internet sensation in the short-term, but isn't really going to work out very well in the long term for the fish. I'm sorry you're going through this :( these fish are such mutants and not always well bred for physical health.

Edit: here's more of Callisto's story:
Solid Gold: Callisto is Declining

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom