Bloated GloFish

1. HeidiSnow Initiate Member

Hello,

My glofish started getting bigger a week or so ago. We saw the indentions (lumps?) in her left side but thought maybe it was the eggs. Now she is so big and miserable looking, we aren't sure.

I've seen posts where it could be pregnant, dropsy, some kind of worms??, and probably 5 other things I missed. Will you please tell me your opinion on what is wrong with her so we can try to help her?

I can provide any other info you might need. The tank is cycled and stabilized. We stared out with a 28G back in July '11 and had to upgrade to this 60G. All real plants. Not crowded (can list if you want).

Thank you!!

Attached Files:

2. HeidiSnow Initiate Member

She is worse this morning. Now she has red spots on her side - I think they are raw meat/skin/something - there are no scales. I saw another post where you use clove oil to euthanize. I think I better get my shoes on and go to Walgreens and buy some. BUT! I would still like to know what this is so I know if I have to worry about my other fish. I have no idea what to treat for.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore!

It's hard to see our fish ill.
    You can try putting your fish in q tank to see if it is poo'ing.
    Often times feeding a tiny bit of the inside of a thawed frozen pea along with fasting can help with constipation (if that's what it is)

If you decide to use clove oil, it's advised to use it with vodka.
    Sometimes the fish can appear to be gone using just clove oil when in fact they are just in a deep sleep.

I don't have any real advice, just wanted you to know someone was reading your thread.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

They say bloat is caused by eating too much protein. The symptoms are raised scales, enlarged stomach, redness at the base fins, long whitish fecal cast, ulcers on the body, lack of color, darkening of color, lack of an appetite..... and I am sure there are more that I missed. The best thing to do is separate it, make sure it is in a clean, healthy environment (not that yours is not). Like Lucy said you can feed it veggies and treat with a broad range antiboitic unless you feel the fish has just gotten too ill to treat. I really hope your fish is doing better. I feel for you and your fish.