Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Bloated/constipated Guppy - Questions About Feeding And Fasting

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by fish_ninja, Sep 23, 2018.

1. fish_ninja Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

I have a male guppy who eats like a pig and has been extremely bloated the past week. Before I go further, I have a 20 gallon high tank with 4 cories, 3 platies, and 2 additional guppies. I completed a large (50%) water change 3 days ago. Water parameters today are ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5.

I've alternated fasting them every other day hoping that the bloat would go down but that doesn't seem to have helped. I fed them a few de-shelled peas 2 nights ago - the guppy in question ate them up. I fasted them last night, and fed them normally again tonight. I feel so bad for him although he is swimming around normally and is eating heartily. His scales are not raised, and he looks healthy other than looking super fat.

What can I do? How long and how often do I feed peas? How often can I fast without hurting my other guys?

I've attached some pictures that hopefully help, although I know they're not great quality. Maybe someone can just confirm that he is in fact a male guppy :)

2. YellowFish13 Well Known Member Member

I would stop feeding until the bloating goes down. Fish can survive 2 weeks or more without food, so don’t worry about starvation.

If all of your other fish are a good weight, and they still need to eat, you could take a clear cup, scoop him up and just hold the cup in one hand, feed the other fish quickly, and immediately release him back into the tank. I don’t think you should feed him for at least the next 4 days.

3. fish_ninja Valued Member Member

Yes all my other fish seem fine weight-wise. I will fast for a few days straight and see how that goes. What about the peas? If his bloat hasn't gone down should I try that again?

4. YellowFish13 Well Known Member Member

If in 4 days, there is no improvement, you can feed him a pea. Though for the next few days, don’t give him anything at all. Not even peas.

5. fish_ninja Valued Member Member

@Intermediate_Aquarist I just noticed your profile pic, I have a betta that looks a lot like yours - so pretty!  

Got it - thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2018
  6. YellowFish13 Well Known Member Member

They do look similar! My boy is actually 4 years old!