Bloated Betta Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by A-53, Apr 14, 2010.

1. A-53New MemberMember

After feeding my betta some pellets this morning, I put in half an algae wafer for my mystery snail, and for some reason today my fish decided to eat the wafer himself - his stomach is *huge* and he was going back for more, so I had to take what was left of the wafer out of the tank, is there anything I can do to help him? He's never even gone near the snail's food before...

2. CharlemagneValued MemberMember

So sorry this happened. I'm not sure what's wrong . . . . . .could it be constipation? Anyway, here's a *BUMP* to keep your thread on top where someone who knows what to do will be more likely to see it. Hope he gets better!

3. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Welcome A-53. If he is constipated, sounds like he is lol, then you should give him a thawed shelled pea (3-4 pieces the same size as his eye) and then fast him for 2 days. This will clear out his sytem. And be careful, any food you leave in the tank will be eaten by him, and bettas are very prone to constipation which can lead to problems.

4. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Good info from Tiger. I just wanted to add, did you feed your snail at night? I have to feed my snails in my betta tanks at night after I turn off the lights so the bettas dont really see the wafers. You can try this and see if it helps. Just dont give a whole algae wafer break one into 1/4's and give one little 1/4 a night the snail will have enough food and if your betta does eat it he should be fine.

5. uprightandlockedWell Known MemberMember

Also for preventative maintenance in the future, fast your betta one day a week to keep his system cleared out.

6. A-53New MemberMember

thanks for all the advice :) i'll start feeding my snail at night to stop this happening again - I tried to feed him a little segment of green pea this morning but he didn't go near it. I also found a little piece of his tail on the bottom of the tank, i took a closer look at him and he's bitten a big chunk about 1cm long and 4mm wide out of his tail :S his top fin has also started to curl a bit, so I have no idea what's wrong with him - the water, snail and plants are all fine, and so was the fish until he decided to snack on the wafer...

7. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Fin nipping happens. I havent had that issue with my bettas. Maybe he was wondering what he tasted like? Jk lol. But, if you can try placing the wafer in a new location each night. If you keep adding it to the same place your betta will figure you out. As for the fin just treat his food with garlic juice or garlic guard by seachem. He'll be fine as long as the water is good and it is heated.