Bloated betta

1. Janmitch22 Member Member

What's wrong if a betta has a big tummy even if I've stopped feeding him for a couple of days? His tummy was big and round, like he was seven months pregnant. Some kind of obstruction? The betta died, but I'd like to see what y'all say in case my other two come down with the same.

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Definitely sounds like an obstruction. Maybe constipated?
    Carol

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

That would be my guess also. What you can do to try and prevent constipation is see if he'll eat peeled peas at least once a week, or try a once a week feeding of Omega One veggie or super veggie flakes. Bettas don't usually eat plants, but once a week will keep their systems cleaned out and it won't hurt them. ;)

4. Janmitch22 Member Member

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks Butterfly, Gunnie.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

your welcome! I have to play "the Game" to get my betta to eat certain things. He will attack and eat anythng sitting in one place and moving. So I hold whatever I reeeaalllyy want him to eat between thumb and forefinger and move it just a little bit. Then he attacks it and has eaten it before he decides whether he really wanted it or not. Aren't I sneaky? ;D
    Carol

6. Janmitch22 Member Member

Hey, not a bad idea....Haven't seen those veggie flakes anywhere, but I'll try some peas