Bloated Betta

NancyD

Reaction score
Hello, so I have a female betta that is excessively fat, and I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly is causing it. (I don't want to give her the wrong treatment).
She has been bloated since I bought her, so I'm not sure how long she has had it, but she has grown slightly fatter over the past week. Her scales are NOT popped out like the pinecone effect so I'm not sure if it's dropsy. She still poops regularly so I'm not sure if it's constipation. Could it be that she's just fat? Does anybody have an idea of what could be causing her to bloat?

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Of course I’m going to be that guy and ask what your water temperature is. Also, when your betta poops, what’s the consistency like? If it’s long and stringlike she’s constipated even if she’s passing the feces.

Do you have pictures?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Worst case is she's potentially egg bound, but much more likely that's she's just constipated. Fast her for a day or two, then feed her half a shelled and blanched pea.
Also if you could post ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, though I see you don't know what the nitrogen cycle is. Please read up on that, as it will help your fish in the long run and make it easier for her to heal.
What's the tank size?

NancyD

Reaction score
Water temperature fluctuates between 73° and 75° depending on time of day, as for ammonia and nitrate, I do not know. I've never had issues with my water before, so over the years I just kinda lost all my test tools.

As of right now she is in a 5 gallon aquarium with one other female betta. I plan on moving them to a 10 gallon tank in the future after I save the money to purchase one. Long story short, they used to belong to my friend who recently moved to Alaska and had left them with me. She's the kind of pet owner who thinks that bettas are puddle jumpers. Before I got them they both shared a 2 gallon bowl with no filter, heater, and a once a week water change, plus they were fed tropical fish flakes, so this is why I'm guessing constipation.
But her poo is not clear and stringy, it is red, like the fish flakes. Yesterday it was more of a light tan, (I assumed it was from the change of food for I feed them bloodworms, baby shrip, and betta pellets) I did give her a pea her first day with me and fasted her for the next day and a half, but she only grew slightly bigger, which is why I am now wondering if there may be something else wrong with her.
so what do you think?

NancyD

Reaction score
Here are some pictures, she is the white one. She doesn't really look that bloated right now, but yesterday she seemed to "deflate" a bit (or so to say) but within the hour she was a balloon again. If she bloats up again today I'll try to get another picture.

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Technically it can still be constipation even if she is still defecating, she may not be getting it all out. I'd try fasting for two days then feeding the pea. I'm sorry I can't offer more advice.

NancyD

Reaction score
So it does look like constipation then? Okay good, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something else. Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom