Bloated Betta? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Kacie Brown, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Kacie BrownNew MemberMember

Hey y'all, I've got a betta (his name is sky) that I've had for 5 months now in a 5.5-gallon tank. He's my 3rd betta in the last few years and he's been the healthiest, however for the last week and a half he's been super bloated. I've already fasted him and it didn't make any difference. I've read that I should try feeding him a pea next but I've heard mixed reviews about doing so. Any recommendations?

2. OP
    OP
    K

Kacie BrownNew MemberMember

I fasted him for four days, sorry I forgot to mention that above!

3. missa124816

missa124816New MemberMember

I've heard a skinned pea is okay for Betta's. However, I've also heard of Daphnia being a good way to relieve bloating for Betta's. How much are you feeding it per day/week?

4. OP
    OP
    K

I feed him 2 pellets in the morning and at night.

5. OP
    OP
    K

Here are some images of him and his bloated belly. IMG_20180423_200602237.jpgIMG_20180423_200555328.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    K

Here are some images of him and his bloated belly. View attachment 432167View attachment 432168

7. siameseAmethyst

siameseAmethystValued MemberMember

Naaaw poor little man, so youve fasted for 4 days and it hasn't gone down? :/ no good, I rarely feed mine any flakes or pellets because he gets bloated easily, if you can get frozen blood worms and daffnia its better for him, I feed mine maybe 1-2 worms a day and some daffnia to help push it through :) I might give him a tiny amount of flakes every 2-3 days.

8. WanhiBetta

WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

Definitely wait for his body to get back to normal before feeding him again, he's extremely bloated.

9. almrds

almrdsValued MemberMember

My betta looks exactly like yours (the bloat I mean). He’s also a crowntail but an orange color. I’ve fasted him for 2 days and just fed him some of a pea. I’m worried it won’t work. Hope it does for you!

10. almrds

Any updates on yours? The pea I gave mine 24 hours ago doesn’t appear to have helped at all :(

11. OP
    OP
    K

So far nothing, I asked a fish group on Facebook and the consensus was that he probably has a tumor :/. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be affecting his quality of life, as he's still a super excited and curious boy.

12. almrds

How quick did he get that bloated? Mine happened fairly quickly. Peas haven’t helped and I did an Epsom salt bath last night for the first time and it didn’t help either :(

13. almrds

Are you feeding him his normal food now?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice