Bloated Betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by LowieTheLoach, Apr 16, 2018.

1. LowieTheLoach

LowieTheLoach Valued Member Member

A few days ago my new betta started looking bloated so I decided to fast him before giving him a pea. Now my red cherry shrimp are gone and he's worse. I probably should have seen that coming.

I'm moving the amano shrimp to my big tank. They should be fine with the dojo loaches, right? I plan on doing more research before just dropping them in.

The tank has been running for several months so it should be cycled. I'm not seeing any ammonia spikes, but I can't test everything else until my new test kit comes tomorrow. Sadly, it might be too late for this little guy.

Attached Files:

2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Can you get a closer pic??

3. j

jess3434 Valued Member Member

Are you saying he ate the shrimp? I don't think it is too late, but you should definitely fast him. What size tank is he in? Is it heated? As well, are his scales lifted (pinecone-ing )?

4. Bettafishies126

Bettafishies126 Valued Member Member

If he ate the shrimp then I'm not surprised he's bloated but fasting him from one day to some people say even a week will clear up most cases of bloat, if that doesn't work try giving him a small piece of a pea. Also, he might not be a goner keep your hopes up :) I've seen some fish pull through some pretty crazy stuff on this website

5. OP
    OP
    LowieTheLoach

He's now hiding behind the filter, but I'll try. Also, please ignore the hard water build up. I'm cleaning that of later today. This weekend was hectic so we just did water changes and a light vacuuming.

6. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Well Known Member Member

If he ate the shrimp he's gonna be bloated for a bit. Don't feed him anything even a pea. Fast him for a couple days and keep an eye on him, give him some time to poop it all out. Keep an eye on his behavior.

7. OP
    OP
    LowieTheLoach

He does look a bit pinecone-y. He's in a 10g with a hob filter and a heater. It's usually around 79° or 80°. I can't leave the thermometer all the time because he freaks out at his reflection. I check it a few times a day though.

Attached Files:

8. GrayGray4231

Oh my! He is really bloated and looks like he has minor dropsy...:( feed him a shelled pea and see how he does.

9. Bettafishies126

Dropsy isn't just bloating we already know he's bloated from eating shrimp, so I don't think he has dropsy

10. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Well Known Member Member

Pine coning is dropsy (most the time. It's the biggest symptom). :( I am so sorry it's a really bad fish illness and is hard to save.

11. GrayGray4231

I
    know it is not bloating, pineconing is the same thing as dropsy. I just put dropsy because that is what it is.

12. Bettafishies126

The word dropsy is so confusing to me cause some places say it's a word to describe pineconing and swelling while other places say dropsy is a real disease in itself, so confusing! Sorry

13. OP
    OP
    LowieTheLoach

Dropsy? I'll have to look that up, I've only dealt with swim bladder disease. The floating on his side looked similar so I was treating it the same. I'm definitely going to fast him and try a pea in a few days.

I really hope he pulls through, I'm already attached to the little guy.

14. GrayGray4231

lol, its ok. Pineconing is just another word for dropsy, and yes it is a disease in itself

15. Bettafishies126

If this is from eating the shrimp it is most likely his swim bladder making him float on his side

16. GrayGray4231

If it is dropsy, there is no saving him most of the time. I am sorry I had to be the one to break it to you. :( But trust me, we all hope he pulls through.

17. OP
    OP
    LowieTheLoach

If it is dropsy, will I need to tear down the tank and sterilize the tank? That's going to stink because I'm almost done getting it planted. I've got the last plant coming in on Thursday. ☹️

18. GrayGray4231

No, no, no. Only strip down the tank if he had a disease like ich or a bacterial infection.

19. OP
    OP
    LowieTheLoach

That's a relief. I was looking forward to moving on to planting my big tank.

20. GrayGray4231

Haha! Yea, unless he gets a disease like that the tank should be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice