Bloated Betta Help

1. VenomousTiger

VenomousTiger Valued Member Member

I recently noticed me Betta fish was a little bloated. I didn’t think much of it and just skipped a feeding at the time. Then 2 days later it still hadn’t gone away. I fed him a little bit of a pea, and fasted him. He is still bloated. I am worried it could be dropsy, or inflamed gills.

Image1518052093.597084.jpg

Image1518052128.655955.jpg

What could it be? The tank is 10 gallons, I used to have some female guppies in with him but I moved those out fairly recently. I have been keeping up with water changes. I feed him 3-4 API betta pellets a day, but sometimes skip feedings to make sure he has a natural eating schedule. I also have 1 ghost shrimp, 1 Malaysian Trumpet, a mystery, a nerite, and a ramshorn snail in with him

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

It is hard to tell from the picture but are his scales sticking up?

3. OP
    OP
    VenomousTiger

The scales by the area where it is bloated look like they might be sticking up a little. Other then that, I don't really see anything other then that

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

If you’ve tried all the fasting already maybe try an epsom salt bath next.

5. OP
    OP
    VenomousTiger

It’s dropsy. Bloated belly, and in his hospital today he started pineconing.

I quickly ran to target and my lfs to pick up a bin and airstone, airpump, heater, and meds. I set up a hospital bin. Right now I am doing epsom salt and planning on daily water changes. If that doesn’t work I will do the meds. They are Maracyn Two.

Anything else I should do? This is my first fish with dropsy besides when I saw my parents taking care of their tank. I really hope he lives, but if there’s no hope I am willing to euthanize.