Bloated Betta Fish Help

1. midnightwolf Well Known Member Member

about 5 months ago i took home a poor male betta from petco, he didnt eat for a few weeks but got used to his new home and started eating in front of me. about a few weeks ago i noticed he was bloated and i dont know why, i thought maybe he was just fat so i fed him less but im not seeing any changes. he seems normal and only has trouble swimming when right by the filter because of his large fins. please help me, i love him very much and dont want to loose him :(

EDIT: before the bloating i was on Vacation for about a week and the petsitter did not own any fish. could she of overfed him? and if he was just fat when would i see changes in his size?

thanks for the help

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

what do you feed him?

for the bloating, you could try a peeled green pea chopped up very finely, maybe fast him for a couple of days

could you ask the petsitter how much the betta was fed? to see if overfeeding is the problem or something else?

also, i assume you haven;t noticed any pineconing?

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry your betta isn't feeling well. :(
    I'd suggest a couple of bits of thawed frozen shelled peas or freeze dried daphnia, and fasting.
    The fact that he wouldn't eat at first and now that he but is bloating has makes me wonder if he's got stomach problems. Poor babies, go through so much before we get them.

I hope he feels better soon/

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:( I'm sorry he's not feeling well. Great advice above; I hope he recovers okay. :;hug2

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Midnight. Sorry to hear your Betta isn't feeling well. Be sure to use a frozen, thawed pea and not canned peas. Canned peas contain salt that may not be good for your fish. Too, it may take a couple of tries before your fish realizes the pea is food. So don't give up if he doesn't take it the first time.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

6. midnightwolf Well Known Member Member

thanks everyone for the help.

Meenu- no i dont see any pineconing
    lucy,iloveengle, and aquarist48- i will try the peas today, or should i fast him a bit before feeding them to him?

thanks again

7. Kivstev Member Member

If he doesn't take to the peas try flavoring them in garlic juice or something like Kent's Garlic Xtreme.

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You can fast him for a day first and then try the peas. Garlic, by the way, is a great natural immune booster, flavor enhancer, and also helps fish with parasites. Soaking the peas in garlic juice is a good idea. You can use the juice from a jar of minced garlic from the grocery store, or just some fresh garlic you've mashed ap and added water to make the juice.

9. midnightwolf Well Known Member Member

ok thanks everyone :) i will try the peas tomorrow and let you know if he eats them