Bloated belly betta..

1. fallonrhea Member Member

Hello. So my betta fish has had a bloated belly for a while now. I have fed him a pea and kept him in a breeder net so he can't find scraps to eat when I fed the other fish. It has been almost a week now and he has only gone to the bathroom once... I'm wondering what else I should be doing to help the situation. His belly still looks abnormally bloated but not as bad.. as in he doesn't look like he is about to pop but it's still very bloated. Any advice would be great!

2. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Can you post a picture?
    He sounds constipated. What are your water parameters? What are his tank mates? How long have you had him?

3. fallonrhea Member Member

I'm currently at work. I know he is constipated. He doesn't have pine cone scales, he isn't having trouble swimming. He just really needs to poop. My perimeters are 0,0, and the first orange on nitrate. Can't remember the number. I've had him for like 6 months. The tank has been set up for over a year. His tank mates are apple snails, Kuhli loaches and rummy nose tetras.

4. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I would try an epsom salt bath, since the pea didn't work. If possible I would give him his own tank, he is most likely gorging himself on food so the tetras can't eat.

5. fallonrhea Member Member

He is in a breeder box at the moment. He's been there for 4 days. I will try the salt bath again. I did try it once but he never pooped.

6. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I meant before he was in the breeder. I would still give him his own tank so you don't have to worry about the tetras.

7. fallonrhea Member Member

He still hasn't pooped after the salt bath.. or during..

8. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe try a pea again?
    Give me a second and I'll see if I can find something else.

9. fallonrhea Member Member

Trying the pea again. He seems to like them..

[​IMG]

This is him

[​IMG]

You can see the bloating a little better here...

10. fallonrhea Member Member

Still nothing...

11. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Did a little research, it looks to me like he has dropsy. At first, I was like, "No. He's not pineconing, it's not dropsy." BUT it turns out that sometimes dropsy doesn't cause pineconeing. I hate saying this, but I would prepare for the worst:(

12. fallonrhea Member Member

I was afraid of that as well but the belly is the only symptom he has..

13. Subha92 Member Member

Please don't feed peas to your Betta. Betta are strictly non-vegetarian, so giving peas will never solve the problem. Consuming the peas may cause the swim bladder problems in betta. So make sure not giving them peas.

To solve the boalting problem of betta, simply cut off his meal for 3 days. It will be okay for your fish. They generally starve in nature even for 1 week. So it will not harm your fish. By cutting the meal, you can minimize the chances of swim bladder problems.

Now it is time to clear his GI stasis. You can simply put a mirror beside your tank. The betta will flare by seeing their own reflection, during such situation some of them may poop out. Actually the muscle stiffness during the flares works better for boalted belly than anyother means.

Best of Luck, happy fishing

14. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Peas are a natural laxative.I don't know where you heard they cause bloat, yes they are insectivores, but a little bit of veggies is ok. I even feed it weekly to prevent bloat, with absolutely NO I'll affects.
    I thought the OP already tried fasting. Sorry if I misread.
    I have never heard of flaring to help things pass, it sounds too good to be true. I would think it would cause more pain than good.

15. Subha92 Member Member

It is true that the peas are laxative but for betta they are not so goid choice. Cat eats grasses as the laxative then why not you are trying them??

There mist be some distinction between vegetarian and non vegetarian. The Betta is purely Non-Vegetarian. Peas work best for omnivorous and Vegetarian fishes but it is not a good choice for Betta.

Secondly, The flaring is not always stressful for betta. Flaring is also necessary as an excercise. Try it & tell me if it works.....

16. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Where did you learn that? Can you provide links? I'm actually quite curious about the flare thing.

As for the pea, I guess you could be right. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one though. I won't feed it as often.

17. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Freeze dried daphinia I've read can help them poop.

18. Subha92 Member Member

Flowingfins, you just do that. You will get your result. Actually in my lab, I used to research on Betta behavior. Thus I don't need any further reading..... That's why I can't give you the link. I have just got it from my own experience. Lets try it

Daphinia is also a good option. But a long term feeding may also make them boalted. Be careful if you are feeding your betta only freez dried food. Please give your betta a variety of foods. But anything more than limits may cause problems. Be carefull

19. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

It's not my betta though, it's fallonrhea's, or I totally would try it.
    Welcome to fishlore by the way:)

20. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Most to all walking animals ewt grass or another grassy vegetation to calm their stomach. Fish eat certian types of plants in the wild like the amazon. Lets say some angels were bloated or had dropsy. They would eat fruit or a certian plant that they learned helped. In the home aquarium they dont have the abiblity to eat certian fruits or vegetation that they have in the wild.

As for bettas since they live in china. If u think about it....they live in small ponds that may or may not be even puddles! :( but where does the water usually fomew from that their offspring can survive next season? Rice field's are just water and rice stalks sticking out. Or even just ditches that farmers use to keep water for their crop.

My point is.......LOL I dont even know but...its just a trial and error thing. Try peas if that doesnt work try something else that someone else said :)

Hope ur betta gets better :)

-BamSorg