Bloated Angelfish

pcant

Please help if you can! We were out of town for a day and a half and when we got back, our Marble Angel stays off to a corner by himself. He usually follows me everywhere I go. He ate last nite but this morning seemed like he wasn't really interested, which is very unusual! He doesn't come to me and he looks bloated. All the other Angels are fine.

Shawnie

welcome to fishlore petra!!

when did he eat last? was it last night? my angels are totally bloated after eating but by the next day, its usually gone...if you can target feed him/her, with a small piece (the size of their eye) of frozen, shelled pea, it helps with constipation...what did they eat?

pcant

Thank you for your helpl. I bought some peas. I am also getting a small aquarium ready to quarantine the fish. He was bloated last night and this morning before he ate. When I got home from work, my gold Angel's top fin was clamped with white stuff on the end and her face was nearly straight up when she swam. My little angel has a spot on the end of her top fin. I can't believe this has happened so quickly! The only thing we did different was to add 2 spotted cory cats to the aquarium (Both died within a week) about 10 days ago. This is unbelievable! Is it ICH? Thanks again for your help. I don't want to loose these fish I've gotten attached to them.

catfishlover123

Pics would help. Welcome to fishlore!

foxhill2

Angelfish experts (amazonpassion ?) Do you have any idea why her belly is getting so big? I've had her for 2 1/2 years since she was 3 months old. She's always been a beautiful, healthy fish but started getting bloated a few weeks ago. Never been a big eater (even less now). Could she be egg bound or have parasites? She's been in the same 55 gallon tank with 2 BosmanI rainbows & 2 albino plecos for 2 1/2 years. pH= 8.2, Temp.= 80 degrees. Thanks

Attachments

• Angel front.JPG
    Angel front.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Angel  left side.JPG
    Angel left side.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Angel right side.JPG
    Angel right side.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Angel rear view.JPG
    Angel rear view.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 94

Aquaphobia

Is she pooping ok?

AlyeskaGirl

I am sorry she is sick.

Internal parasites usually isn't bloating.

She is very bloated and probably has a type of internal bacterial infection that has infected the kidneys. Not much you can do for it now. Not sure if you try feeding her an antibiotic food that it will work or not. You said she is eating but very little right?

I am not an expert but I do have Anglefish and have been down this road with bloating and didn't know what it was. Can be frustrating. I learned a few things after the fact.

foxhill2

Is she pooping ok?

It's funny, I rarely see my fish pooping. They must go 'in private' ..except for the plecos

I am sorry she is sick.

Internal parasites usually isn't bloating.

She is very bloated and probably has a type of internal bacterial infection that has infected the kidneys. Not much you can do for it now. Not sure if you try feeding her an antibiotic food that it will work or not. You said she is eating but very little right?

I am not an expert but I do have Anglefish and have been down this road with bloating and didn't know what it was. Can be frustrating. I learned a few things after the fact.

Thanks, I'll give the antibiotic food a try. Any brand/type I should buy? You said you've had this before with your Angel...did anything help?
No, she's not eating much

Jesse T Sartin

I've had this angelfish for about a year and about a week ago it started getting a big stomach so I thought maybe it might of been pregnant or something as time went by I noticed it kept floating to the top of the tank and it would struggle to swim back down to the bottom only to end up back to the top of the tank belly up. I've moved it to a separate tank by itself, but shows no signs of getting better. Any clue of what course of action I can take? (it'll still swim but most the time it lays either belly up or on its side)

Attachments

• 1121171547a.jpg
    1121171547a.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 44
  • 1121171547f.jpg
    1121171547f.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 36

75g Discus Tank

Garlic soaked peas should work. The starches will clear out the cause of the bloat. Do this after a 3 day fast.

Jesse T Sartin

Garlic soaked peas should work. The starches will clear out the cause of the bloat. Do this after a 3 day fast.
Thanks for the response, I'll give it a go.

75g Discus Tank

Good luck!

Gracesea

Recently I adopted/rescued a large angelfish that lived in a tank full of algae and little care for 2 years. Now the angel is in my 55 gal, she has been eating like a pig and is active. I noticed when I got her she was very bloated and I hoped that being in my tank she would get better. She doesn't act sick but when I compare her to my other angel it worries me. Here's some pictures-
x9RKreqOFEafT458ol4CDY1hJEPMye0vl8vAdvBDIYnFOGQ1gYE9iA21Qyk9vZCWWDU63nOwk_T-5IP2z4o=w749-h998-no.jpg
ZwKId6HETMSGfxc1EjBKYO_-JYEVWy_7Fm_VwCT1oZNy4lGb60bLh-urYsAJKymKkjwdLQ9Aku1ne21iNLw=w749-h998-no.jpg

Les Miz <3

Angelfish are lovely fish, the both look gorgeous! I’ve never owned any myself, but here’s an article that may help you...

Gracesea

Angelfish are lovely fish, the both look gorgeous! I’ve never owned any myself, but here’s an article that may help you...
When I noticed the angel looked bloated that was the first website I checked, it mainly says that the fish could be sick. But my angel isn't showing any signs of being sick

Les Miz <3

It may be constipated, this webpage I found has some remedies and different things it could be... sorry I can only quote articles as I have never kept angelfish before. I believe if its scales stick out like a pine cone or it’s waste is white and stringy, it may have internal parasites however this is not very common.

Gracesea

It may be constipated, this webpage I found has some remedies and different things it could be... sorry I can only quote articles as I have never kept angelfish before. I believe if its scales stick out like a pine cone or it’s waste is white and stringy, it may have internal parasites however this is not very common.
I will have to look into it and keep an eye on her, thank you.

Lefky

I just saw that my Angelfish has a big bump on the underside of it. It appeared within 12 hours and I am unsure of why and what to do. Its scales are not bulging out or falling off. He is swimming like normal but is now sitting at the top of the tank when he is normally near the middle-bottom of it.

Another picture.

I got my water tested earlier today and they came back as:
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrate and Nitrite
75 total hardness
0 total chlorine
120 total alkalinity
7.8 pH

Attachments

• A34E253A-536E-436B-AED8-DBE1D0A4DDCB.jpeg
    A34E253A-536E-436B-AED8-DBE1D0A4DDCB.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 201
  • E88B6FC8-F56B-46C5-B950-879871ACC94C.jpeg
    E88B6FC8-F56B-46C5-B950-879871ACC94C.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 86

A201

It looks like the Angel is suffering from Dropsy / Bloat.
Considering the swelling occured so quickly, I suspect an intestinal bacterial infection.
There really isn't much you can do. Maybe remove the Angel and treat with antibiotics in a hospital tank.

Lefky

Considering the swelling occured so quickly, I suspect an intestinal bacterial infection.
There really isn't much you can do. Maybe remove the Angel and treat with antibiotics in a hospital tank.
I don't have another tank but I have like a 5 gallon bucket I could use. Also when I woke up, it looks like the swelling has gone down.

Lefky

What antI biotics do you recommend trying?

A201

If the swelling has gone down, maybe the problem is a bad case of constipation. Might hold off on feeding for a few days and see if the problem sorts itself out.

Lefky

If the swelling has gone down, maybe the problem is a bad case of constipation. Might hold off on feeding for a few days and see if the problem sorts itself out.
Alright will skip todays feeding and see how he is tomorrow thank you.

angelcraze

Young angels can bloat easily if they eat too much. Agree if the swelling has gone down, I think he just ate too much. I see a bit of poop in one of the pics, looks like he ate a lot of protein. I'd fast him 2 days and start feeding with a veggie based food. Hope he is doing ok, and pls update if you notice anything else.

Lefky

Young angels can bloat easily if they eat too much. Agree if the swelling has gone down, I think he just ate too much. I see a bit of poop in one of the pics, looks like he ate a lot of protein. I'd fast him 2 days and start feeding with a veggie based food. Hope he is doing ok, and pls update if you notice anything else.
I will thank you, but if I fast him I would have to fast all the fish as he is the first to any food in the tank.

angelcraze

Yeah you'll have to skip feeding for at least a day. Two days is not bad at all either. In fact, it's beneficial for their digestive systems to skip feeding once a week. That's more for adult fish, but they will be fine with a 2 day fast. If he looks back to normal already, I think he'll be ok, but for good measure, be stingy on the food, especially bloodworms and foods very high in protein.

I have a question tho, why do you not register any nitrates? This tank is cycled?

It would be very helpful to be able to test the water yourself. That way you can learn more easily about the nitrogen cycle if you are not yet familiar. Most of us are using the API master kit, it's the least expensive.

Addie42

would it be a good idea to feed a little bit of food soaked in Epsom salts?? this is what I did for my goldfish
not sure about angelfish

angelcraze

would it be a good idea to feed a little bit of food soaked in Epsom salts?? this is what I did for my goldfish
not sure about angelfish
Oh yes! I forgot!

When you do feed him, you can soak his food in an Epsom Salt solution. 3/4 tsp of Epsom Salt dissolved in 1/2 cup water. I've only used pellets, so idk if it would work for flakes, but I use a pipette just to moisten the pellets in a shot glass and let it soak in. I even let it dry again to feed later, but you can feed right after it soaks in too. I try to get the fish to eat it right away so salts are not diluted in the water and the fish swallows it. Epsom Salts taken internally acts as a gentle fish laxative.

Lefky

The tank is cycled and I got my water tested just a few days ago at my nearest Petsmart. With their tests, it increases in intervals of .5, so when the results came back as 0 meaning it could be anywhere from 0 to 4.99 I bought test strips, but I would rather return them for something more accurate.

angelcraze

The tank is cycled and I got my water tested just a few days ago at my nearest Petsmart. With their tests, it increases in intervals of .5, so when the results came back as 0 meaning it could be anywhere from 0 to 4.99 I bought test strips, but I would rather return them for something more accurate.
Honestly, that's a good plan. Those test strips are ridiculously unreliable.

How's your angel?

Lefky

How's your angel?
The angel is acting normal, I have not fed the tank today and I think the bloating has gone down a little bit.

Lefky

How's your angel?
Is there a water test kit I could purchase that shows exact readings to the tenth or even hundredth of nitrates/nitrites?

Addie42

Is there a water test kit I could purchase that shows exact readings to the tenth or even hundredth of nitrates/nitrites?

not sure why that would be important
the units of the master test kit are in ppm = 1mg/ L
there's an acceptable range and you just guage it by the liquid colour results

its not that the strips are in bad units, they just don't work

Kwaters20

One of my angelfish looks bloated in the abdomen areas. I noticed it yesterday, so I don’t think it’s been this way long. I’ve had this angelfish about 1 month. Not acting strange, eats normally, I saw him poop today. He/she isn’t paired with any of my
Other angels. I’ve attached pictures. Could it be dropsy? No other signs of it though except the bloating.

Attachments

• 264B64F0-DD23-4AC0-BF38-6EB5DC646CAC.jpeg
    264B64F0-DD23-4AC0-BF38-6EB5DC646CAC.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 4A5B217A-83C0-47A1-9C86-406A046AED67.jpeg
    4A5B217A-83C0-47A1-9C86-406A046AED67.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 22
  • C7823044-ED1F-4820-8C0A-458EC7E4AE9C.jpeg
    C7823044-ED1F-4820-8C0A-458EC7E4AE9C.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 73318617-3AB1-460B-8367-8D39A602A4F3.jpeg
    73318617-3AB1-460B-8367-8D39A602A4F3.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 22

BigManAquatics

The easiest thing to do is fast it for a few days, see if the bloat goes away.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
grac3
Replies
Views
guppywrangler
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views