Bloated Albino Cory

1. grayb79 Initiate Member

I have 3 Albino Cories and 1 male Betta in my ten gallon tank. I brought the tank and fish home from college on tuesday so that I could keep them here through thanksgiving and chritmas break. Once I got the fish back in the tank I noticed that one of the cories was laying on the bottom which is not unusual so I thought nothing of it, I did notice that its barbs were missing but im not entirely sure if that is a new development or not. Last night I noticed the cory on the bottom again and thought it was dead. Turns out its not but it is very bloated, and breathes in a way that makes me think of a dog panting. Also there are red spots around the mouth and a couple along the side. The fish does not seem to be able to swim very well and is not interested in eating. Anyone have any ideas? I wonder if it is a swim bladder problem.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello GrayB. Cory Cats can be sensitive to changes and tank moves. Do you know your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? The redness you've described leads me to believe it could be ammonia issues going on in your tank as well.

You can try feeding them some shelled, thawed, frozen peas (canned peas contain salt that you don't want). Cut them in "very" small pieces and let them sink to the bottom. Peas act as a laxative and may help. If it's not swim bladder issues then it may be constipated and this is where the peas come into play.
    Best wishes! I hope it's going to be alright.
    Ken

3. grayb79 Initiate Member

I dont know the levels right now, haven't been able to get test kit for a while but I did think of that so I plan to do water changes every day for a couple days as well as fasting although the fish did not seem at all interested in food but I will see if we have any peas. I hope it makes it but from what I read about moving fish I understand that losing a few is to be expected, it just sucks when you only have four fish cause losing one seems huge