Bloated African Dwarf Frog - took to exotic vet!

froggymommy

Hi everyone, I wanted to make this post so that someone could have this info available, as there was nearly NOTHING online about it before I decided to go to the vet.

Peter randomly appeared bloated 6/29. I read it was dropsy and he would die soon. I quarantined him from the other frog and my partner took him to her house for "hospice" because I didn't want to watch him suffer and die.

2.5 months went by and he stayed the same. He had been eating and behaving completely normally the whole time too, just bloated.

I read online a couple cases where people poked their ADFs with syringes to drain the fluid like a blister.
I finally decided to go to an exotic vet, 8/11.

The vet had never worked with ADFs before, but she did take a syringe and drained a surprising amount of fluid... IT WAS BLUE? Like the color of windex. She looked at it under a slide and saw some crystals.
She offered to send it to a lab but it would have cost $100, and there's no known treatment or cure so it was kind of pointless.

He was still bloated, she didn't want to remove too much and hurt him. She told me that the syringe still poked a hole so it's possible more fluid will drain as the day goes on.

But she said that as long as he's eating and behaving fine then there's no need to bring him back for routine drainings or anything.

So just wanted to share that experience in case anyone is scouring the internet like I was before this. It was $61 total. Definitely worth the peace of mind, and I feel very relieved and optimistic.

Also, blue crystal fluid inside my frog means he's magic, I'm pretty sure.

CorydorasCats

froggymommy said:
Also, blue crystal fluid inside my frog means he's magic, I'm pretty sure.
Definitely agree he is magical :cool:
Bless the little guy! I hope he is doing better now :)

Lucy

That's interesting.
Too bad the vet didn't send it off in the name of science.

OP
froggymommy

froggymommy

Update, two days later Peter is still fine but hasn't drained more fluid and shrunken back to regular size. Oh well. I still feel relieved and optimistic that his behavior implies he's doing alright!

New Threads